• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyone know How to print double-sided in Acrobat Professional?

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing's like this should typically be easy do, did I miss something?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Pro DC, if you look in the Print dialog box, you'll see a Properties button next to your selected printer.  Click it, and look for an option for duplexing, or printing on both sides of the paper.

duplex-1.jpg

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

Acobat DC on mac osx, command p, goto bottom left of dialog, select print on both sides of paper.

Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 10.21.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will get more control and better results if you always default to the <printer option> at the bottom.  This solves the problems of the phantom blank-page header at the start of the document which throws off the pagination of double-sided printing, of choosing double-sided or not, and a slew of other problems.

I tried two other ways of printing a PDF on a MAC without using Adobe:  Opening the PDF with Chrome or with Safari; and then using their print interface.  Both offered the same options as Acrobat, but with fewer keystrokes (Safari was the best).

What is sad is that when you click <printer> at the bottom of Acrobat's printer interface, you are given a warning that you are sacrificing the greater number of options and control that Acrobat gives you.  But the exact opposite is the case.  You get more control of the usual and more important functions with the native interface offered by all other apps on the Mac (at least the ones I tested, including the Mac version of MS Office).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mijcar  wrote

… I tried two other ways of printing a PDF on a MAC without using Adobe:  Opening the PDF with Chrome or with Safari; and then using their print interface.  Both offered the same options as Acrobat, but with fewer keystrokes (Safari was the best). …

Not necessarily a good idea. Chrome and Apple's PDF viewers (a.k.a. Preview) do not fully implement the PDF imaging model and specification. Your output may be wrong and in some cases, even if you don't think you are modifying the PDF file with those viewers, content can get corrupted!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be true for other options available, but it isn't true for the options I've mentioned (with the possible exception of Adobe doing some major unusual production edits).  Anyway, it's not like the user has a choice: there is no other option that removes the spurious blank side of the first sheet of paper, no other option that allows you to switch between one-sided and duplex printing.

The good thing is that you can't print directly from this optional set-up.  You are directed back to the original print dialog (the Adobe one) and all its other adjustments are in place and applicable.

I truly believe that with the October update, the printer process was inadvertently modified in such a way that the overarching print behavior is controlled by Adobe and that the layout and duplex printing options will have no impact on the other options controlled by Adobe.  And I see no possibility of actually damaging the original document no matter what options the user picks: that would take incredibly poor coding on the part of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2019 Feb 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov was not saying that Adobe damages the files, but Preview and Chrome could do so. And Dov claims that your output with Chrome or Preview may be incorrect...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But ... same comment.  If either Preview or Chrome are opening a PDF, modifying it, then saving the modified version without a customer acceptance, then that company is violating all digital protocol.  You never save a document without a customer's current acceptance or (as in the case of MS Officer and similar products) saving backup's, but not overwriting the original.  And, if an app modifies a file in order to make a working copy of it (to print, to display, to attach to an email) as is the digital industry standard, that company would find itself in deep trouble.  I can't think of a product I have worked with that opens the original and modifies it in place, so that a single computer glitch would destroy the original file.  When, copying, moving or editing a file, SOP is make a working copy, use it, while (usually) the original is locked, then save it as the user desires (in a new location, with a new name, or overwriting the original).  Both Apple Preview and Chrome have been in the industry a long time; and I have a hard time believing either of them would violate standard safety protocols.  This sounds like some of those fear-mongring news items that requires a Snopes investigation before one becomes overcome with anxiety.

What can happen, however, is if the printing is done by the product interface, then any special process to affect outcome (such as printing a line, then doubling back to print over it) would probably be lost; and the user would not get the effect they wanted.  However, in this case, where the user accesses the printer interface to "throw switches" (double-space or not; header page or not), then returns to the Acrobat interface to do the actual printer, the product should be printed as expected.

But, even if you don't believe in the above scenario, I am sure you can agree with the point I and numerous others are making: include those switch-throwing options in the Adobe/Acrobat interface so we don't have to be filled with doubt or anxiety by leaving the product and then returning to it.  That's what one would expect from a once established powerhouse such as Acrobat (or any other Adobe product).  Yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, for heaven's sake, why can't we posters here edit the post we just made in the case of confusing typos!!!

Come on, Adobe, that, too, is common practice on message boards.  Even uptight CNET allows the user a time period of correction (I think they still do; it's been a while).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can, if my memories are correct, when there is no answer to your entry. You need however to click the date if you are in the "inbox" folder.

This is a "feature" of the forum software which is a third party software and service.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines