Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SSI and PHP

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

been using .php extensions and php includes for years

now looking at using server side includes for 2 reasons: lower server stress and enable dreamweaver display

i.e. in theory SSI will enable the included files to be viewed in the Display panel

unlike with php includes which dont appear all together in Display

Question: Is there any way (in DW) to make al my php includes appear like the SSI includes?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Yes, with a testing server, you'll see changes made in your css that affect your included html in the parent page.

Modifying css in an attempt to see the change on the include file itself however, generally won't work. Even if the include had a link to the css file, it still may not actually show the css changes because the include isn't a page, it's just a fragment of a page, and many times won't have enough html for the css selectors to latch onto the way they're written.

1. Open one of the pare

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes no sense whatsoever.

been using .php extensions and php includes for years

now looking at using server side includes for 2 reasons: lower server stress and enable dreamweaver display

PHP includes = SSI which is short for server-side includes.  

If you want to see your includes locally, just install & define a local testing server.  Put your site folder in the testing server's default web directory.

CC-testingServer1.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy

are you saying that it makes no sense to change from php incudes to ssi includes?

i have MAMP installed on my machine will that do what you are suggesting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

colbydos  wrote

Thanks Nancy

are you saying that it makes no sense to change from php incudes to ssi includes?

Makes zero sense at all.

colbydos  wrote

i have MAMP installed on my machine will that do what you are suggesting?

If you are using php locally then you need to use a local server set up so php files can be parsed, MAMP is an option to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks OSGOOD!

In Live View options, i see Use Testing Server for Document Source

would this be the way for me to see the php includes in Live View?

(currently the php require content doesn't show up so has to be edited seperately)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

colbydos  wrote

Thanks OSGOOD!

In Live View options, i see Use Testing Server for Document Source

would this be the way for me to see the php includes in Live View?

(currently the php require content doesn't show up so has to be edited seperately)

You will have to wait for Nancys advice on how DW handles php files. I stopped using DW some time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will the local server option enable the includes to be viewed & edited in the DW Display view?

for both php and ssi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reasonably certain the OP is talking about switching from from .php includes to .shtml includes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what does OP mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the context used, it stands for Original Poster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i was looking at switching from php to shtml but i now dont see any need

am i right in thinking that's ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.

Once you have a local testing server installed, you'll be able to see your includes, within the pages they're included on, from within Live View. However, you won't be able to edit them from that parent page directly (if that's what you're going for).

The actual include file would need to be opened, modified and saved before the Live View of its parent page will change (sometimes requiring hitting F5 to refresh the view).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i understand, i need to edit the included file not the parent

but the problem in the past has been editing that include file in CSS Designer since it has no

since it has no css definitions and all css links are in the parent page

hence, the CSS Designer panels dont populate with data which means i lose out on all that editing power!

So... will the Testing Server somehow allow me to use the CSS Designer on those included files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, with a testing server, you'll see changes made in your css that affect your included html in the parent page.

Modifying css in an attempt to see the change on the include file itself however, generally won't work. Even if the include had a link to the css file, it still may not actually show the css changes because the include isn't a page, it's just a fragment of a page, and many times won't have enough html for the css selectors to latch onto the way they're written.

1. Open one of the parent pages that uses the include

2. Make changes to the css that will affect the include's html

3. Click the "parent" page to see the changes.

You don't have to save the changed css file at this point, it should show the new css as soon as you click the parent page. If it doesn't F5 will refresh Live View and show anything that's been modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines