Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eval and JSON file

Advocate ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I always worked with XML files to collect informations to use in my scripts. Illustrator supports the XML object, so I can acess the nodes and collect the data I need from the XML.

But I recently received a JSON file. I looked into the "JavaScript Tools Guide.pdf" documentation and did not find any information about how to manipulate the JSON file like I use to do with my XML.

I asked to a friend and he told me perhaps we could use the Eval function....But I'm having no sucess. Do not know how to proceed...Initialy I tried:

var myFile = new File ("~/desktop/data.json");

alert(myFile.exists); //returns true!

myFile.open("r"); //sucess opening

var content = myFile.read(); //sucess reading

myFile.close(); //sucess closing

var x = eval(content); //CRASH!

But it did not work. It returns an error "Cannot execute script in target engine main"

How should I use eval to have an way to manipulate data in JSON?

Thank you very much

Gustavo.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use this snippet to perform a JSON.parse() on your file.

"object"!=typeof JSON&&(JSON={}),function(){"use strict";function f(t){return 10>t?"0"+t:t}function quote(t){

return escapable.lastIndex=0,escapable.test(t)?'"'+t.replace(escapable,function(t){var e=meta;

return"string"==typeof e?e:"\\u"+("0000"+t.charCodeAt(0).toString(16)).slice(-4)})+'"':'"'+t+'"'}

function str(t,e){var n,r,o,f,u,i=gap,p=e;switch(p&&"object"==typeof p&&"function"==typeof p.toJSON&&(p=p.toJSON(t)),

"function"==typeof rep&&(p=rep.call(e,t,p)),typeof p){case"string":return quote(p);case"number":return isFinite(p)?String(p):"null";

case"boolean":case"null":return String(p);case"object":if(!p)return"null";if(gap+=indent,u=[],"[object Array]"===Object.prototype.toString.apply(p)){

for(f=p.length,n=0;f>n;n+=1)u=str(n,p)||"null";return o=0===u.length?"[]":gap?"[\n"+gap+u.join(",\n"+gap)+"\n"+i+"]":"["+u.join(",")+"]",gap=i,o}

if(rep&&"object"==typeof rep)for(f=rep.length,n=0;f>n;n+=1)"string"==typeof rep&&(r=rep,o=str(r,p),o&&u.push(quote(r)+(gap?": ":":")+o));

else for(r in p)Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(p,r)&&(o=str(r,p),o&&u.push(quote(r)+(gap?": ":":")+o));return o=0===u.length?"{}":gap?"{\n"+gap+

u.join(",\n"+gap)+"\n"+i+"}":"{"+u.join(",")+"}",gap=i,o}}"function"!=typeof Date.prototype.toJSON&&(Date.prototype.toJSON=function(){

return isFinite(this.valueOf())?this.getUTCFullYear()+"-"+f(this.getUTCMonth()+1)+"-"+f(this.getUTCDate())+"T"+f(this.getUTCHours())+":"+

f(this.getUTCMinutes())+":"+f(this.getUTCSeconds())+"Z":null},String.prototype.toJSON=Number.prototype.toJSON=Boolean.prototype.toJSON=function(){

return this.valueOf()});var cx,escapable,gap,indent,meta,rep;"function"!=typeof JSON.stringify&&

(escapable=/[\\\"\x00-\x1f\x7f-\x9f\u00ad\u0600-\u0604\u070f\u17b4\u17b5\u200c-\u200f\u2028-\u202f\u2060-\u206f\ufeff\ufff0-\uffff]/g,

meta={"\b":"\\b","  ":"\\t","\n":"\\n","\f":"\\f","\r":"\\r",'"':'\\"',"\\":"\\\\"},JSON.stringify=function(t,e,n){var r;

if(gap="",indent="","number"==typeof n)for(r=0;n>r;r+=1)indent+=" ";else"string"==typeof n&&(indent=n);if(rep=e,

e&&"function"!=typeof e&&("object"!=typeof e||"number"!=typeof e.length))throw new Error("JSON.stringify");return str("",{"":t})}),

"function"!=typeof JSON.parse&&(cx=/[\u0000\u00ad\u0600-\u0604\u070f\u17b4\u17b5\u200c-\u200f\u2028-\u202f\u2060-\u206f\ufeff\ufff0-\uffff]/g,

JSON.parse=function(text,reviver){function walk(t,e){var n,r,o=t;if(o&&"object"==typeof o)for(n in o)Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty.call(o,n)&&

(r=walk(o,n),void 0!==r?o=r:delete o);return reviver.call(t,e,o)}var j;if(text=String(text),cx.lastIndex=0,cx.test(text)&&

(text=text.replace(cx,function(t){return"\\u"+("0000"+t.charCodeAt(0).toString(16)).slice(-4)})),

/^[\],:{}\s]*$/.test(text.replace(/\\(?:["\\\/bfnrt]|u[0-9a-fA-F]{4})/g,"@")

.replace(/"[^"\\\n\r]*"|true|false|null|-?\d+(?:\.\d*)?(?:[eE][+\-]?\d+)?/g,"]")

.replace(/(?:^|:|,)(?:\s*\[)+/g,"")))return j=eval("("+text+")"),"function"==typeof reviver?walk({"":j},""):j;

throw new SyntaxError("JSON.parse")})}();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clone/download this repo GitHub - douglascrockford/JSON-js: JSON in JavaScript and in your illustrator file do

#include "pathToJson2.js";

this way all JSON functionality, such as .stringify and .parse will be available in the scope of your script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

try this:

function test()

{

var myFile = new File ("~/desktop/data.json"); 

alert(myFile.exists); //returns true! 

myFile.open("r"); //sucess opening 

var content = "(" + myFile.read() + ")"; //sucess reading 

myFile.close(); //sucess closing 

var x = eval(content); //no more CRASH!

}

test();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines