• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to secure a pdf document so it can either be automically [without monitoring]: 1] downloaded just once or 2] only be printed "x" number of times once downloaded onto another computer? I would like to make a product available online via Pa

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a number of manuals on sale on my website via PayPal. There is a possibility that I may also be able to sell out-of-print books that are available in pdf format ONLY. I want the customer to be able to download only one copy of the purchased document and then be able to print the document only one time. I don't know if this much control is doable. However, I'd like to know what my limits are with Acrobat Pro XI or an upgrade to the DC version if necessary.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

No, neither of these things are possible. Once a file is downloaded you can't prevent it from being copied, and you also can't prevent someone from sending multiple copies of a file to the printer.

You can use DRM protection to limit the way the file can be opened (for example, up to a certain date or only by certain people), but that will cost you a lot of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, neither of these things are possible. Once a file is downloaded you can't prevent it from being copied, and you also can't prevent someone from sending multiple copies of a file to the printer.

You can use DRM protection to limit the way the file can be opened (for example, up to a certain date or only by certain people), but that will cost you a lot of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the clear & quick response. I had hopes but was also doubtful. As I learned a long time ago, the worst a person can say is "no".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines