• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2 SSD, 1 HDD Setup for 4K editing, which drive for what purpose?

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

What would be the best config with these drives for good fast 4K editing (source is h264) and exporting?

Drives:

250gb m.2 ssd for OS

250gb SSD sata III ssd

2tb 7200rpm HDD

500gb 5200rpm HDD (old, i know, but i have it from a previous build)

So, I'm thinking of:

OS and programs on the m.2

Cache AND scratch on the second sdd

Media on the harddrive

I'm thinking that putting the media on the harddrive might be the best solution (though not ideal?) since the size might be an issue for the SSD when it's also used for scratch and cache (thus storing preview files on the ssd)? I also read that pulling the media from another drive is better?

Where should I export to? The Second SSD, or the Media drive? Or just export to the older slow drive which isn't doing much?

Also: where should I keep my project files? Also on the 2tb drive? Those aren't written to as much as the cache and scratch I guess?

Thanks in advance for all the help and tips!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Hardware Forum​ for expert advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puget recommends:

Primary SSD           2tb 7200rpm  (good for OS and software, but takes a few sec. to boot up.)

OS & Software

Secondary NVMe/RAID   250gb m.2 (fastest for media playback)

Project files

Tertiary SSD          250gb SSD sata III ssd   (cache, mostly for making room for m.2 storage)

Media Cache & Scratch

Optional Platter/SSD   500gb 5200rpm HDD (slowest for backup)

Storage & Archive

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/#Co...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Though i'll keep my os where it is now (on the m.2)

The article states that h264 media should do fine on platters.

If i'm experiencing stutters etc... I might move the project files and media over to the scratch disk, if available size permits it?

Benny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a waste of your fastest drive.  Put your OS/Application on the SATA III drive as once it boots it really runs from memory.  Then put you project files on that fastest drive. backup and archive to hard disk drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines