3 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2006 12:12 PM by Alpaca_Alex

No sound in projector

Alpaca_Alex
      I have a Director project which I developed on a Mac for distribution as a projector on both Mac and Windows. When I made the Windows projector, it doesn't play any sounds. The sounds in the project are short clips (one to five seconds) in aiff format, imported using standard import. The Mac projector works perfectly.

After looking on this discussion board, I found some people had trouble with sound on Windows projectors created on Mac. As a test, I downloaded the trial versoin of Director for Windows for my Windows machine. I can play the original files perfectly on a Windows computer now, but when I create a projector for Windows using the Windows version of Director, I still get no sounds.

I create the projector selecting "include all extras". Is there some setting I need to do or script I should include to make a projector for Windows that plays sounds?

Alex
        • 1. Re: No sound in projector
          Level 7
          You might try pulling some of the xtras from the Director folder and put
          them in the xtras folder of your projector. Any of them that look like they
          are for sound. Like the SWA*.x32, maybe Sound Control.x32. You're projector
          is probably missing one of them.

Timm

"Alpaca Alex" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e521u2$5fk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I have a Director project which I developed on a Mac for distribution as a
          > projector on both Mac and Windows. When I made the Windows projector, it
          > doesn't play any sounds. The sounds in the project are short clips (one to
          > five
          > seconds) in aiff format, imported using standard import. The Mac projector
          > works perfectly.
          >
          > After looking on this discussion board, I found some people had trouble
          > with
          > sound on Windows projectors created on Mac. As a test, I downloaded the
          > trial
          > versoin of Director for Windows for my Windows machine. I can play the
          > original
          > files perfectly on a Windows computer now, but when I create a projector
          > for
          > Windows using the Windows version of Director, I still get no sounds.
          >
          > I create the projector selecting "include all extras". Is there some
          > setting I
          > need to do or script I should include to make a projector for Windows that
          > plays sounds?
          >
          > Alex
          >

• 2. Re: No sound in projector
            Level 7
            On Wed, 24 May 2006 16:34:10 GMT, Alpaca Alex posted in
            macromedia.director.basics:

> I have a Director project which I developed on a Mac for distribution as
            > a projector on both Mac and Windows. When I made the Windows projector,
            > it doesn't play any sounds. The sounds in the project are short clips
            > (one to five seconds) in aiff format, imported using standard import.
            > The Mac projector works perfectly.

Some PC sound cards may still require the old, "SoundBlaster compatible"
            sample rates. If any of your sounds are not sampled at one of the following
            rates, try changing them.

44100 Hz
            22050 Hz
            11025 Hz
            8000 Hz

Do not round up/down those rates. They are NOT equal to 44KHz, 22KHz, etc.

8 or 16 bit in any of the above should work, though 8 bit sounds pretty bad.

You might also check into which soundDevice you're using and possibly switch
            to one of the others that are available (as listed by the soundDeviceList()).

Some other thoughts you can look into:

All sounds sampled at the same rates?
            soundKeepDevice set to true or false?
            Playing in channel 1 or 2 and there are videos?

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin'
            • 3. Re: No sound in projector
              Alpaca_Alex Level 1
              Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, I did something pretty simple to fix - my publishing settings included "Exclude Extras" checked. I unchecked it, and now the projector works. I have no idea how that box got checked.