2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2017 7:18 AM by moh58719361

How to make an 'Action' delete the original file (after reducing its size) and to output logs?

moh58719361 Level 1

My organisation keeps thousands of PDFs (mostly scanned forms, documents etc.), many of which have ridiculously large file sizes due to incorrect scan settings. I'm looking for a way to automate the task of reducing the file sizes while indicating that the file's size was reduced in case something goes wrong.

Hence, I'm trying to set up a custom Action in Acrobat Pro XI to:

1. Reduce PDF file sizes in a directory
      2. Delete the original PDFs
        • Acrobat allows you to overwrite the original PDFs (by keeping the original file name), however, I need to insert some text in the filename in order to indicate that it was reduced

• If text is inserted into the file name, both the original and the reduced files are retained in the directory

3. Output logs for what was done

• Whether or not the file size was successfully reduced
        • Whether the file was skipped (for whatever reason)
        • Whether the original file was deleted
        • Date and time of when the Action started on the PDF (not essential)
        • Amount of time it took for the Action to execute on the PDF (not essential)

Is there way to accomplish tasks 2 and 3 via Javascript within the Action? This will be running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine if it makes any difference. Any help would be much appreciated.