5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2009 7:51 AM by Scotchester

Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue

DV8
      Does anyone know why when saving out gifs as exact that when displayed in the optimize panel at less then 256 colors it snaps back to the adaptive setting this is driving me crazy. I am not the only one in my office having the problem. I have done searches and no answers.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue
          Level 7
          DV8,

Could you elaborate on the problem you are having a little more?

OS?
          Steps to reproduce?

alex

DV8 wrote:
          > Does anyone know why when saving out gifs as exact that when displayed in the
          > optimize panel at less then 256 colors it snaps back to the adaptive setting
          > this is driving me crazy. I am not the only one in my office having the
          > problem. I have done searches and no answers.
          >
          • 2. Re: Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue
            Brontojoris Level 1
            Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. I am using Fireworks 8.0.0.777 on Mac OS X 10.4.7.

I see the issue when I create a a graphic with a gradient, then make a slice and choose Gif, then Exact. The 'Exact' switches back to Web Adaptive. The number of colours is 87 or some other, much lower than, 256 colors.

The only way around this is to stay with Fireworks MX (7?) or save out to PNG or PSD, then open in ImageReady.

While Fireworks is much much nicer to use for creating web graphics, the quality of gif export in ImageReady is a hundred times better.

quote:

Does anyone know why when saving out gifs as exact that when displayed in the optimize panel at less then 256 colors it snaps back to the adaptive setting this is driving me crazy. I am not the only one in my office having the problem. I have done searches and no answers.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue
              Level 7
              Brontojoris wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I am experiencing the same issue. I am using Fireworks 8.0.0.777 on Mac OS X
              > 10.4.7.
              >
              > I see the issue when I create a a graphic with a gradient, then make a slice
              > and choose Gif, then Exact. The 'Exact' switches back to Web Adaptive. The
              > number of colours is 87 or some other, much lower than, 256 colors.
              >
              > The only way around this is to stay with Fireworks MX (7?) or save out to PNG
              > or PSD, then open in ImageReady.
              >
              > While Fireworks is much much nicer to use for creating web graphics, the
              > quality of gif export in ImageReady is a hundred times better.
              >
              >
              quote:

Does anyone know why when saving out gifs as exact that when displayed in
              > the optimize panel at less then 256 colors it snaps back to the adaptive
              > setting this is driving me crazy. I am not the only one in my office having the
              > problem. I have done searches and no answers.

>
              When you click on the color box and the pallette opens, there's an arrow
              pointing to the right. When you click on that there is a menu that
              drops down, and at the very bottom is an option that says "snap to web
              safe." Make sure that is not checked.

--
              Bonnie
              in California
              8 ^ )
              • 4. Re: Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue
                Brontojoris Level 1
                >> Brontojoris wrote:
                >> Hi,
                >>
                >> I am experiencing the same issue. I am using Fireworks 8.0.0.777 on Mac OS X
                >> 10.4.7.
                >>
                >> I see the issue when I create a a graphic with a gradient, then make a slice
                >> and choose Gif, then Exact. The 'Exact' switches back to Web Adaptive. The
                >> number of colours is 87 or some other, much lower than, 256 colors.
                >>
                >> The only way around this is to stay with Fireworks MX (7?) or save out to PNG
                >> or PSD, then open in ImageReady.
                >>
                >> While Fireworks is much much nicer to use for creating web graphics, the
                >> quality of gif export in ImageReady is a hundred times better.
                >>
                >>
                >>quote:
                >>> Does anyone know why when saving out gifs as exact that when displayed in
                >>> the optimize panel at less then 256 colors it snaps back to the adaptive
                >>> setting this is driving me crazy. I am not the only one in my office having the
                >>> problem. I have done searches and no answers.

> When you click on the color box and the pallette opens, there's an arrow
                > pointing to the right. When you click on that there is a menu that
                > drops down, and at the very bottom is an option that says "snap to web
                > safe." Make sure that is not checked.
                >
                > --
                > Bonnie
                > in California
                > 8 ^ )

Hi Bonnie,

Thanks for the tip, but I've checked and that option is not ticked. I did a little bit more investigation, and it seems the problems appears when using text with a drop shadow. Here is what I did:

0. Make sure 'snap to web safe' is off.
                1. Create a 100 x 100 pixel box.
                2. Apply rounding of 30
                3. Give the box a 2 pixel stroke, orange (#D98E29)
                4. Fill with a vertical gradient . (From ##ECC694 to #E1A758)
                5. Use the right click menu to "Insert a rectangular slice
                6. Open the optimise panel.
                7. Choose Gif, Choose Exact.
                8. Click the Preview tab. Wow it looks great. No banding. Using 152 colours.

Part 2, Add some text.

9. Use the type tool to add some text. orange (#D98E29)
                10. Click preview, Great, no banding - using 175 colours.

Part 3, Add a drop shadow.

11. Use the Filters dropdown in the properties panel to add the default drop shadow (7px offset, 65% opacity, 4px blur, #000)
                12. Click preview. Oh oh. lots of banding, using 114 colours and 'Exact' has reverted to Web Adaptive.

If I choose Exact again, Fireworks changes it back to Web Adaptive.

Part 4. Export with ImageReady.

13. Open Fireworks PNG with ImageReady.
                14. Open the Optimize panel
                15. Choose Gif. Leave other settings at defaults. Reduction: Selective, Color: 256, Web Snap: 0%, Dither, Method: Diffusion.
                16. Click the Optimized tab. Wow, no banding, looks great, using 256 colours.
                17. Choose File, Save as Optimized, and open in Safari. Geez, it still looks great.

So it seems that ImageReady is able to export to 256 colours when multiple color ranges are used (Orange to light orange in the gradient and Orange to dark orange for the drop shadow), while Firework is not. able to do the same.

The thing is that I never had this problem with exporting when I was using the previous version of Fireworks (MX or 7?)

I have filled a bug with Macromedia. (again)

Regards,
                Joris
                • 5. Re: Fireworks 8 exact to adaptive snap issue
                  Scotchester Level 1

This is a major bug that has been in dire need of fixing for a LONG time.

Bumping this thread to call attention to it.