4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 3:30 PM by characterrific

Controlling Embedded Captivate SWFs

SeedofHope
      Hi:

I have a SWF (SWF A) that I'm loading into a movieclip (Movieclip C)which is part of another SWF (SWF B). Basically, SWF B functions as a player, with play and pause controls. These controls control Movieclip C where the external SWF A is loaded into.

Normally, I have had no problem with this and it always works. At run time, when you click the pause button on SWF B, a stop() command is issued to Movieclip C, which stops the play of the external movieclip (SWF A) loaded into it.

However, I did a screen capture with Captivate and published it as a SWF. I loaded this SWF (SWF A) into Movieclip C in SWF B at run time. However, clicking the controls on SWF I created has NO EFFECT on the SWF I created in Captivate. It just keeps playing.

I guess all SWFs are NOT created equal. How can I make this work?

By the way, I do not want to use the embedded controls that come with Captivate.

Loren
      “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." - John Powell
        • 1. Re: Controlling Embedded Captivate SWFs
          Level 7
          Loren,

> Normally, I have had no problem with this and it
          > always works.

Good.

> However, I did a screen capture with Captivate and
          > published it as a SWF. I loaded this SWF (SWF A)
          > into Movieclip C in SWF B at run time. However,
          > clicking the controls on SWF I created has NO EFFECT
          > on the SWF I created in Captivate.

I'll bet it does have an effect, but you just don't see the effect
          you're expecting.

> It just keeps playing.
          > I guess all SWFs are NOT created equal. How can I
          > make this work?

A SWF is a SWF is a SWF. They are all created equal, from a certain
          point of view. Flash Paper SWFs are just SWFs, at bottom, even though they
          have additional functionality. Captivate SWFs are also just SWFs -- which
          means they must adhere to the MovieClip class, all of whose methods,
          properties, and events are listed in the "MovieClip class" entry of the
          ActionScript 2.0 Language Reference.

It may be that Captivate nests its SWFs, so that you need to adjust your
          target when telling a given movie clip container what to do. Would you show
          the exact ActionScript you're using?

David
          stiller (at) quip (dot) net
          Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Controlling Embedded Captivate SWFs
            S_Harvey
            I've ot the same problem too. Did you get a reply as to how to control Cpativate movies from within a Flash based application?
            • 3. Re: Controlling Embedded Captivate SWFs
              SeedofHope Level 1
              No, not really. Someone suggested to go in and edit some API for Captivate. However, that is over my head. Sorry.
              • 4. Re: Controlling Embedded Captivate SWFs
                characterrific

I have had this same problem!  I have a captivate project with both flash SWFs and captivate made swfs, the flash SWFs pause but the captivate swfs do not.  And what's more frustrating, the captivate SWFs seem to start playing well before their slide appears, because I can hear clicking on previous slides with no mouse, and by the time I get to the SWFs slide, the animation is half over!  Hopefully someone will know the answer-- I am wondering if it is a bug in the captivate 4 swfs.

Someone told me to check "externalize animations" in the publish settings area.  It didn't work for me, but maybe it will work for you.