2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 6:39 AM by pixelstrolch

How would you tag a list of symbol explanations?

pixelstrolch Level 1

I've got a Word document to improve for accessibility. At the beginning of the document there is a section where a few icons / symbols are explained, which will appear later in the document.

• What would be the most semantic way to tag it? As a list or as a table? I think a list would be better.
      • However, how would I do it? Should I place the <Figure> inside a <Lbl> and the explanation inside <LBody>?
      • How would I format the Word document to have as less work as possible in Acrobat?

Thanks!

Stefan

• 1. Re: How would you tag a list of symbol explanations?
          a_C_student Level 3

I think you nailed it. Your list is analogous to a "dictionary list" as described in ISO 32000, paragraph 14.8.4.3.3 List Elements.

• Label: A name or number that distinguishes a given item from others in the same list or other group of like items. In a dictionary list, for example, it contains the term being defined.
          • List body: The descriptive content of a list item. In a dictionary list, for example, it contains the definition of the term.

Of course you will want to add brief alt text to the Figure tags, something like "Smile icon".

As to formatting the Word document to have less work in Acrobat - dunno. Experiment.

• 2. Re: How would you tag a list of symbol explanations?
            pixelstrolch Level 1

So, I'm not the only one who believes that's the right way. I was not sure if it's ok to put a <Figure> into a <Lbl>.

Right now, my workaround is to create a multi level list which doesn't show a bullet point or a number. So it creates the list structure but without the <Lbl> tag. That I'm going to fix in Acrobat manually.