• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suggested strategy for maintaining two versions of files where PSD/TIFF is different

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a scenario where I have an image that I want with and without text. I typically edit it in Photoshop via LR and end up with a PSD or TIFF file. I create a text layer in the PSD (say) and can turn it on or off. The text is more than a line of text, so LR text won't work.

What I usually do is get my portrait without text looking good, then I save my PSD as a new file name (e.g., IMG_1234-wText.psd), bring the text in, and import that file. Now I have two separate images. I wish that I could do this almost like a virtual copy so that the second copy just has an additional photoshop layer turned on.

I'm pretty sure that I can't do this but have to stick with my current process. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Dilip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

The only way to do this will end you up with two separate files just like you're doing right now. You can also take the finished photoshop file in Lightroom. Right (or control) click and select edit in Photoshop and do an edit in Photoshop with Lightroom adjustments. Than add your text layer.

If your text is always the same, you might want to look into the watermarking function in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2017 Jul 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do this will end you up with two separate files just like you're doing right now. You can also take the finished photoshop file in Lightroom. Right (or control) click and select edit in Photoshop and do an edit in Photoshop with Lightroom adjustments. Than add your text layer.

If your text is always the same, you might want to look into the watermarking function in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jao. That is the current way I've been doing this. I wish that there were a better way so as not to have to have two PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR doesn't read the layers made in PS. What you see in LR from either a PSD or TIFF file is a Flatten version of the image file saved inside of the file. With TIFF that is always created and with a PSD it is created with the Max compatibility option turned on. Without Max compatibility turned on in PS LR won't even display a PSD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exactly. I teach LR and show students how they can certainly edit with layers, filters, etc., but only see a flattened image when they're in LR (one can use onOne for a sense of layers in LR, but that defeats the simple design goals in LR and I don't encourage that route). It sounds like the way I've been doing things is the only way, alas. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines