10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2017 1:24 PM by STLRGA

Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method

walterh386226

After deploying a new PC and installing RoboHelp 2017 I keep getting a multitude of script errors upon opening an existing project. This project opens on an older PC without the error but I have now tested on two different new PC's and keep getting same errors. IE 11 is the default browser.

the first script error is

IMG_20170705_105824.jpg

https://forum.jquery.com/topic/jquery-2-1-1-min-js-object-doesn-t-support-property-or-meth od-addeventlistener

• 1. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You talking about the RH2017 project or the output you're creating from it? If it's the output, what flavour & have you applied all the RH patches?

• 2. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
            STLRGA Level 1

Hello,

I am getting the exact same thing after upgrading to a new PC (Windows 10) and going from RoboHelp 10 to 2017 (with the 2017 patch). It is actually a series of three messages that all display in a row upon initial opening of any of my projects or sample projects. After the messages, the projects seem to be okay, but I have not done any outputs yet with the new version upgrade. Any help would be appreciated, I looked all over and could not find any kind of solution. I even took a look at my old PC with RoboHelp 10 for comparison and there was no such folder (RohoHelpHTML/plover/lib) as displayed in the messages. I am thinking this has to be related to the new responsive layouts, but there has got to be a fix for this?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Where are your projects saved?

Does this also happen if you open one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
                STLRGA Level 1

Hi Peter,

My projects are saved to subfolders on "C" drive at the following location: C:\Users\s0033128\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\ (same as it was with my old system that was running RoboHelp 10)

the sample files are at: C:\Users\s0033128\Documents\My RoboHelp Projects\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\Samples\

I tried opening both the one called EmployeeCare3.xpj and Travel_the_Whirl.xpj and get the same series of messages.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method

The next question has to be was RoboHelp installed with admin rights.

If it was, next I would try an uninstall, reboot and reinstall first.

Also make sure you have applied the update. I don't think that is the issue but the next stop is Adobe Support and they will ask you to try that.

Installation calls to Adobe Support are free.

@petergrainge

• 6. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
                    STLRGA Level 1

Yes, it was installed by my company's Desktop System Support and they install all software with "Run as Administrator" access. Does that mean I should try reinstalling RoboHelp with my own login?

I did also install the RoboHelp (2017 release) Update 1, is that currently the only patch for version 2017 that you know of?

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method

I'm not sure if Run as Administrator is the same as having admin rights. I would ask IT to install using their admin logon. Then it should be OK for you without admin rights. That said, having admin rights will be needed for updating so that's best.

If they are reluctant, ask them to do it this way just to prove or disprove the point. After RoboHelp has been installed by someone with admin rights, it must be opened by them at least once.

So IT please uninstall, reboot, install with admin rights and run RoboHelp. Then see if it opens OK for you.

@petergrainge

• 8. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
                        STLRGA Level 1

Hello,

I tried the above recommendations, but unfortunately did not have any luck with that. Then I spent a FEW HOURS with Adobe Support and they tried every possible thing they could think of to eliminate those messages, including verification that all the permissions, etc. were set correctly. Still nothing worked, so I guess this can be noted as a known unresolved issue.

I was told the messages are related to the fact that this can happen if the computer is under a corporate enterprise network domain. Because of this, some system properties (primarily Internet Explorer) are controlled via a "locked down" group policy. These controlled properties are related to running scripts and manifesting as warning messages when a project is initially opened during a session. Adobe had me try testing a bunch of functionality, including Responsive HTML5 output and I am told this has no effect on how RoboHelp is performing.

Adobe is keeping their HelpDesk ticket open, so they may still get back to me. If so, I will post a follow-up here.

Regards.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
                          lindaa1729540

Hello,

I am having the exact same script errors and have the same scenario as far as IE being under a corporate "lock down" policy. Has your issue been resolved since I do not see that you have posted any follow-up? I am working with Adobe Help and have referenced your post. Also, I have installed the latest update of September which did not fix the issue.

Regards

• 10. Re: Script Error: Object doesn't support property or method
                            STLRGA Level 1

I have not heard anything from Adobe since my last post on this. This leads me to believe that the root of the issue remains unresolved. Basically, I would say that this is now a known issue and it is assumed that what I am getting are "warning" messages, not "error" messages. I have been just ignoring these messages, although it is bothersome and I have not experienced any type of related issues.