• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS6 often crashes working with DNG files from Canon G7X Mk II

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mainly shoot with two different cameras and end up with two different types of files- a Nikon D800, which gives me NEF files, and a Canon G7X Mark II, which gives me CR2 files. I import files directly from cards into Lightroom (6.10.1), but when they are from the Canon, I immediately convert them into DNG files. I have done this workflow for years from older DSLR Nikon & Canon small cameras with no problems.

Once I do my quick editing to get rid of bad images and renumber images, I save changes to the raw/DNG files, then open that folder in Bridge CS6 (5.0.2.4). I click on one or more files at a time to open them in the ACR window, make adjustments, then click Done. Generally I do not mix NEF and DNG files when doing this- one or the other. Sometimes Bridge saves just fine, other times...I get the progress bar, sometimes with spinning beach ball, then Bridge crashes, and I loose my edits. I restart Bridge, work for a while, then it crashes again. Occasionally it happens with the larger NEF files, but mostly happens with smaller DNG files.

I have tried restarting the iMac (OS 10.11.6), tried clearing cache in Bridge, but it’s still crashing. Sometimes I am working on two files, sometimes a lot. And again, sometimes Bridge works fine, I can open 10, 20 files at once to make a global change in settings, and Bridge saves them all with no problems, yet other times, even two files will crash it. Bridge writes changes into dng or xmp files until it crashes, so sometimes some of my work is saved, other times it crashes right away. It is just about always the DNG files that crash Bridge, as if Bridge was able to write/make changes to those files much quicker/easier. Which seemingly is counter intuitive- smaller DNG files crash Bridge more than larger, Nikon files...

This has been happening ever since I got that Canon camera. I have no problem opening those DNG files into Photoshop (13.0.6) via ACR window, they always open fine with adjustments, and never crash Photoshop. Changes made in ACR window are always saved fine as well. I thought the whole point of DNG files is that they are not proprietary, and as an open source file, they should be able to be worked with many applications (especially Adobe ones).

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RobertRipps,

Please try resetting Bridge preferences as damaged preferences or workspaces can cause unexpected behavior in Adobe Bridge.

• Start Adobe Bridge and immediately press Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) until the Reset Settings dialog box appears.
  • Select all three options--Reset Preferences, Reset Standard Workspaces, and Purge Entire Thumbnail Cache--and then click OK.

Let us know if that help.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have often purged the cache, but hesitated to do a full reset- can you tell me exactly what will be changed/deleted, so I can back up those files?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences returns preferences to their factory defaults. Some labels and ratings may be lost. Adobe Bridge creates a preferences file when it starts. To back up user data navigate to User/Library/Caches/Adobe Bridge CC on a Mac and copy what you need. Keep the entire folder copied.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

I reset everything, started working with the DNG files- first one, than three, no problem, until I tried 11, and it crashed.

Restarted it, worked a while with 6-8 files, worked okay but after a little while, it crashed again. So it seems resetting is not a permanent fix.

I can paste crash log if anyone thinks it would be useful.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Could you please share the crash logs here so that we can provide you a possible solution?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahail,

When I get a chance I will work on some DNG files & see what Console shows. New version of Console does not keep logs for too long...

Also, since I posted I have updated LR to 6.12, and MacOS to 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I worked on a few files, and withing a few minutes it crashed- I think I was working on 3 or 4 DNG files, and when it started to save it just quit.

I would attach Console file log, as it is pretty long & I have no idea the limit of forum posts, but see no way to do that.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally gave up, and am renting the latest version of the software from Adobe, which I will be doing now until I die I suppose...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines