• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files saved over top of one another. How do I recover them?

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I really need some help with this.

I worked on a bunch of photos in PS and for most of them when I was done I ran an Action I created with a previous set to "1) Save and 2) Close". I thought the 'Save' part was rooted to the right folder but didn't realize it actually said to save in "Volumes/.../IMG_4535-Edit.tif"

It saved each file over top of this one file name. Meaning that none of the files saved individually, they all just kept rewriting over top of the last one that had been saved.

Please tell me there is a way to open the files back in PS without losing the work I did.

If I look under "Open Recent..." it doesn't list the files either because all of them were opened through Lightroom (right click, 'Edit In...')

Using PS CC 2015

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Looks like you have to do the work again, if you did not make any other saves before an action. Usually it's smart to save the workfiles as psd so you can edit it later. So you just open from lightroom, edit and the only save was with your action? Well, the second time it will be faster to edit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran an Action I created with a previous set to "1) Save and 2) Close".

Apparently you did not record »Save« in the Action but »Save As«, a significant distinction.

If the files have been closed since (edit: and they must have been because that’s part of the Action) and you have no automatic back-up system set up then the work done on them is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the original memory card from the camera?  (Assuming that's where they came from).  Even if you formatted that card, so long as you have not filled it with new files, you should be able to recover the ones that have not been overwritten.   Something like Sandisk Recovery Pro will do the job.  If you can't find it, and are using Windows, I think I can find the app for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, though I should clarify: I still have the original files that I edited in Lightroom, but all the editing done in PS is gone. What I want to know is if there is somehow a way I can get back the editing done to the files in PS so I don't have to do that whole several hour process again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have to do the work again, if you did not make any other saves before an action. Usually it's smart to save the workfiles as psd so you can edit it later. So you just open from lightroom, edit and the only save was with your action? Well, the second time it will be faster to edit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, the second time it will be faster to edit

An oft-made observation … even if it may be little comfort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines