11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 2:07 PM by Kevin-Monahan

AE Videohive Template modification

averykm

I recently purchased a template from Videohive and afterwards realized that I need to modify it. It's set to look like an old fashioned photo slideshow, complete with sound and frames. The part I'd like to change is the length of each placeholder. I'm new to AE and don't really understand how to manipulate and change the layers within a composition. I dragged one of the placeholders into the composition but was stymied when I tried to adjust the length. Also, is there a way to copy and paste attributes of one composition to another (similar to Premiere Pro)?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Modifying things in a template can get really tricky really quickly. It all depends on how they've built it.

Usually it's best to cut to a full screen version of whatever you've got and then cut back to the template when you're ready to move on to the next placeholder.

• 2. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
            averykm Level 1

Yes, but how can I extend or lengthen the placeholders?

• 3. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before you do anything start here: Basic AE

You need to learn the basics of composition settings, setting in and out points, adjusting the timing of keyframes and a bunch of other things before you start diving in and changing a bunch of things in a template that has placeholders, nested comps and animation. I don't know anyone that has successfully just jumped into AE and had any success without first spending some serious study time on the basic principals, the UI and the basics.

The only other option would be to use the existing template as is, then nest the main composition in a longer comp, enable time remapping and then adjust the timing there. That will fix everything but the audio so you'll have to deal with that separately. To learn about time remapping type "time remapping" in the search help field at the top right corner of AE and follow the community resources.

• 4. Re: AE Videohive Template modification

averykm  wrote

Yes, but how can I extend or lengthen the placeholders?

I don't know.

None of us can know without seeing the project file. (Although, the link to the VideoHive template page itself might give us a hint.)

Here's the thing: you can extend the length of the placeholder compositions (by going into the composition settings and changing the length), but how to integrate that back into the main composition is a whole other thing that is possibly very complicated.

I fear you misunderstand how After Effect works. It was never built with the intent of people making and selling pre-built templates. From the ground up it's been built for people to create their own projects. Thus, templates can be very tricky to edit beyond dropping in your own placeholders because AE doesn't know what a template is! It just considers this a normal project. What I mean is, you can't just make a placeholder longer and everything adjusts for the new length. That is not how AE works because AE isn't a template machine.

Depending on how the project is built, it could be pretty easy to lengthen things, but it is usually incredibly difficult (especially if there are prerendered assets).

I have well over a decade of experience with After Effects and there are some some templates I've seen that even I wouldn't be able to adjust the length. Granted, I could adjust most of them with enough work, but in most cases it would take a lot less time to just build my own. Seriously, I very rarely buy templates because it is just easier to create my own project from scratch to fit what I need to do.

Templates are GREAT for people without much After Effects experience as long as the placeholder lengths work for you. When it comes to trying to edit their length though, if you have enough experience to do it, you wouldn't be buying a template in the first place because it's just more work than doing it yourself.

Anyway, that's why I suggested cutting away from the template for the parts you need to be longer and then cutting back to the template. It is, by far, the easiest way to do it. You can do some color grading and treatment in Premiere (or AE) to your full frame footage so that it feels like it's still part of the template.

• 5. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Here is a hard-and-fast rule about After Effects for the newcomer:

Simple possession of an After Effects template does NOT guarantee success for the After Effects User.

Newcomers don't know enough about AE to guarantee success.

• 6. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
                    averykm Level 1

Thanks, Szalam, I appreciate the constructive feedback. I will look into creating my own project instead of trying to modify the template as it seems relatively futile to attempt that.

• 7. Re: AE Videohive Template modification

Can you point us to the VideoHive page for the template you bought? As I said, it might give us a better idea of how difficult it would be to modify.

• 9. Re: AE Videohive Template modification

Hmmm. Yeah, that'd be pretty tricky. You could use this as it is, but then when you have a section that's too long to work inside the template, you could just cut to a version you make yourself and then cut back to the template when you're ready to move on.

• 10. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
                          averykm Level 1

That's similar to what I wanted to do: take the first section and replicate that throughout. Those first few slides are the style I want as the whole project, hence my question about lengthening the placeholders. Ideally, I'd like to build off of those slides.

• 11. Re: AE Videohive Template modification
                            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi avery km,

Are you still facing this problem? If not, let us know how you solved it. If so, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thanks,

Kevin