Please try to reset InDesign preferences to defaults.
For details click here Set preferences in Adobe InDesign
If it still does not work please revert with some details like :
Operating System(Exact version of Windows and MAC)
Exact version of InDesign.
I have tried that solution myself and deleted the files manually in their respective folder locations. I even contacted chat support and they even tried reinstalling it themselves and restarting the computer in safe mode yet nothing worked.
The OS I have is Windows 10 and the current version of Id is CC 2017 version 12.1.0.
What bothers me is if I can't tell if the program is really at fault since there's no error at all. It's just unresponsive. I tried other programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator and they launch properly.
Try uninstalling Photoshop, using the drop-down in the Creative Cloud app (see screen shot below), then run the Adobe Cleaner Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems before reinstalling Photoshop.
Here's what I gathered from it.
Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version: 126.96.36.199, time stamp: 0x58c988ec
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825887f
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x00000000000496e9
Faulting process id: 0x3b30
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2fa73dc9a2c16
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2017\InDesign.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 07f9e17d-8913-4530-9948-f43ff5d5888e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
There seems to be another error that comes with it and it's this.
Windows cannot access the file C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9247_none_08e394a1a 83e212f\msvcp90.dll for one of the following reasons: there is a problem with the network connection, the disk that the file is stored on, or the storage drivers installed on this computer; or the disk is missing. Windows closed the program Adobe InDesign CC 2017 because of this error.
Program: Adobe InDesign CC 2017
File: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9247_none_08e394a1a 83e212f\msvcp90.dll
The error value is listed in the Additional Data section.
1. Open the file again. This situation might be a temporary problem that corrects itself when the program runs again.
2. If the file still cannot be accessed and
- It is on the network, your network administrator should verify that there is not a problem with the network and that the server can be contacted.
- It is on a removable disk, for example, a floppy disk or CD-ROM, verify that the disk is fully inserted into the computer.
3. Check and repair the file system by running CHKDSK. To run CHKDSK, click Start, click Run, type CMD, and then click OK. At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F, and then press ENTER.
4. If the problem persists, restore the file from a backup copy.
5. Determine whether other files on the same disk can be opened. If not, the disk might be damaged. If it is a hard disk, contact your administrator or computer hardware vendor for further assistance.
Error value: C000009C
Disk type: 3