9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 10:17 AM by Hraw

I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers

Hraw

Hi guys,

Hope somehone can help,

Can I create an action with this funcion? I usually move every image into the destination one as to create multiple layers, but how can I automatize it? I tried to create an action with Select, copy and paste but seems not working. I don't need the script>statistics>load file into stacks cause I need to open the image in photoshop first

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

No Actions can not use logic to retrieve the number of open document and their sizes then create a new document the correct size to house the currently open documents composite or Layers.  You would need to write a Photoshop Script to do that.

• 3. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers
            SuperMerlin Level 5

This code will stack all open documents into the first document.

#target photoshop;
            while(app.documents.length>1){
            app.activeDocument = app.documents[1];
            var layerName = decodeURI(activeDocument.name).replace(/\....$/,'');
            activeDocument.activeLayer.duplicate(documents[0]);
            app.activeDocument.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
            activeDocument.activeLayer.name = layerName;
            };

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers

This code will create a new document with a good size canvas for of stack of their composites. With  SuperMerlin script  I do not know what you will wind up with if the open document are layered  and are different sizes and resolutions.  He is a better scripter than me. Still it looks to me that his script will only stack the active layer from  each of other open document and close them without saving them. Loosing any changes not saved in those documents.

/* ==========================================================
              // 2016  John J. McAssey (JJMack) 
              // Stack the open Document Visible layer composite into a new 300 DPI document
              // This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware. 
              // The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.
              // ======================================================= */
              // enable double-clicking from Mac Finder or Windows Explorer
              #target photoshop // this command only works in Photoshop CS2 and higher
              // bring application forward for double-click events
              app.bringToFront();

if (documents.length >= 2) { main(); }
              else alert("multiple Document are not open in Photoshop");
              ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
              //                            main function                                  //
              function main() {
                 var orig_ruler_units = app.preferences.rulerUnits;
                 var orig_display_dialogs = app.displayDialogs;
                 app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; // set the ruler units to PIXELS
                 app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.NO; // Set Dialogs off
                 var closeDocs  = prompt("Should documents be Close without saving?", "Yes");
                 var canvasSize = new Array(); // what size canvas is needed
                 canvasSize=getDocDementions(); // get max width and height of open documents
                 app.togglePalettes(); // toggle off palette so Photoshop will not need to update them
                 var doc = app.documents.add( canvasSize[0], canvasSize[1], 300, "Stacked Opened Documents", NewDocumentMode.RGB, DocumentFill.TRANSPARENT ); // create a new document
                 //for (var i=0;i<documents.length-1;i++) { // stack a layer for the open document into the new document
                 for (var i=documents.length-2;i>-1;i--) { // stack a layer for the open document into the new document
                    app.activeDocument = documents[i]; // switch active document
                    var layerName = app.activeDocument.name; // get document name
                    app.activeDocument.selection.selectAll();           // select all
                    try {app.activeDocument.selection.copy(true);} // copy composite of visible layers to clipboard
                    catch (e) {try {app.activeDocument.selection.copy();} // copy composite of visible layers to clipboard
                               catch (e) {app.purge(PurgeTarget.CLIPBOARDCACHE);} // empty 
                    }
                    app.activeDocument.selection.deselect(); // deselect
                    app.activeDocument = documents[documents.length-1]; // switch to newly created document
                    try { app.activeDocument.paste(); } // paste on composite of visible layers
                    catch (e) { app.activeDocument.artLayers.add(); } // add an empty layer
                    app.activeDocument.activeLayer.name=layerName; // label layer with Document name
                  }
                 if ( closeDocs == "Yes" ) closeAllButOne(); // close all opened document except the newly created document
                 app.togglePalettes(); // toggle user's palettes back on
                 app.runMenuItem(charIDToTypeID(("FtOn"))); // fit the document to the screen 
                 app.displayDialogs = orig_display_dialogs; // Reset display dialogs 
                 app.preferences.rulerUnits = orig_ruler_units; // reset units to original settings
              }
              //                           main function end                               //
              function getDocDementions(){
                 width=0;
                 height=0;
                 for (var i=0;i<documents.length;i++) { // look at open document sizes
                    if (documents[i].width > width) width=documents[i].width;
                    if (documents[i].height > height) height=documents[i].height;
                 }
                 return new Array(width, height); // return width and height
              }

function closeAllButOne(){ // close all opened document except the newly created document
                 while  (documents.length>1) {
                    app.activeDocument = documents[0];
                    activeDocument.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
                 }
              }

1 person found this helpful
              • 6. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers
                Hraw Level 1

Sorry I'm trying to run your script but here is the error

Error 8: Syntax Error

Line: 1

->  {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1504\cocoasubrtf830

• 7. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers

You are not trying my script line 1 in my script is a comment look at what I posted

1. /* ==========================================================

Click on the link and save it to your machine http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/StackOpenDocs.jsx as StackOpenDocs,jsx

• 8. Re: I need an action to stack multiple images (opened in ps) into multiple layers
                    SuperMerlin Level 5

The clue to the error is rtf, Rich Text Format therefore control characters are being added.

You need to copy and paste the script using a plain text editor