This seems to be the issue with a particular file, would you mind sharing your file?
Also if you want to copy all the data to new document you can use move pages option.
Move or copy pages between documents
- To move pages from one document to another, open both documents.
- Choose Layout > Pages > Move Pages, or choose Move Pages from the Pages panel menu.
- Specify the page or pages you want to move.
- Choose the destination document name from the Move To menu.
- For Destination, choose where you want to move the pages, and specify a page if necessary.
- If you want to remove the pages from the original document, select Delete Pages After Moving.
You can move master pages as well
For that select Master page and from pages menu choose Move Master
It will open Move Master pages dilog box
Choose the destination document name from the Move To menu, and click OK
Answer to "Also, if I decide not to create the colored background first, and just place my photos and text, I can create the background later, right?"
Is yes, Background can be added later. You just need to sent it back later on.
Thank you, Srishti. I did move the master pages and then just tried moving a single page, but it's not copying the background layer or my guidelines.
I really don't want to have to create my spread guides all over again.
I'd be happy to share my file. Do you mean the new one? If so, how do I share it here?