You want at least 32 GB RAM for After Effects.
What type of media will you be editing and what effects will you use?
Here is my suggestion. This is a custom configuration from Xotic, I suggest you explore to get the GTX 1060 based system but I have limited time right now. It is all SSD package, use the Samsung 850 for your OS/Applications and the Samsung 960 for all the project files. I really would like to have one of these myself.
It is priced at:
Updated price: $1,584.00
3% Cash Discount: -$47.52 *Restrictions May Apply to Cash Discounted Price
XOTIC PC Saved Configuration 43840
- The XOTIC PC Difference
- 1 x XOTIC PC EPIC® Support - LIFETIME Phone/Email U.S. based technical support | Extreme QA testing by dedicated technicians | 24-72 Hour stress testing and benchmarking to ensure top performance and stability $0.00
- 1 x 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type IPS Screen $0.00
- Operating System
- 1 x Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled (Clean Install | Drivers Only | No Bloatware) $70.00
- 1 x LIFETIME Ltd Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime Telephone DOMESTIC Technical Support (Labor through XPC) Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Parts Warranty Repairs $0.00
- 1 x FREE! – FEDEX Ground SHIPPING [U.S. Lower 48 ONLY / Restrictions Apply / Must Be Present to Sign for Delivery] $0.00
- 1 x 7th Generation Intel® Kaby Lake™ i7-7700HQ (2.8GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache) $0.00
- Graphics Video Card
- 1 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) GDDR5 (Pascal) DX12 $0.00
- 1 x 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory $230.00
- M.2 Slot 1
- 1 x 500GB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD $320.00
- 2.5" Bay 1
- 1 x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series SSD - Bay 1 $85.00
- Wireless Networking / Bluetooth
- 1 x Intel® Dual Band AC 3168 Wifi 802.11 + Bluetooth Module [M.2 Chip] - Default $0.00
When working in Premiere Pro, do you know what video settings you'll be using? You'll want to be sure that the laptop that you choose supports the bandwidth requirements of the video that you'll be cutting. If going the USB-C/USB3 route to save on the cost of the laptop, PR's proxy workflow should work for you; however, I consider Thunderbolt a must have.
I doubt I'll be working with any video larger than HD. I'm primarily an animator, so I'll be animating with elements and artwork more than video. As far as effects, I don't have any third party add-ons (Trapcode, etc). I'll be using the effects native to after effects.
I'm not all that experienced with editing, I'd just like some ability to do it in case I want to monkey around with it. I'm an animator, not an editor, so it's not vital. I agree, I do want Thunderbolt.
Finding a recent laptop with Thunderbolt will be a major problem