3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2017 1:31 PM by a_C_student

Table footnotes from Word 2010 to pdf

_Crockett_ Level 1

When I have a table in Word that has table notes, should the notes be included as part of the table in a single row at the bottom and tagged with Tfoot? Or is Tfoot just a way to have a repeating last row and it is not appropriate for notes? Do table notes belong in the table or after it?

I have a table that is currently formatted similar to the following. The author has a number reference that is associated with a note in the table's bottom row and also has a second general note that applies to the whole table. Should I be hyperlinking Note One in Word?

Header OneHeader Two
      Header Three (1 superscript ref to Note one)
      TextTextText
      TextTextText
      TextTextText

1. Note One

Note Two

Any help is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Table footnotes from Word 2010 to pdf
          a_C_student Level 3

In this case I would put the notes outside of and immediately following the table. I would put each note in a <Note> tag nested in a <P> tag.

• 2. Re: Table footnotes from Word 2010 to pdf
            _Crockett_ Level 1

Thank you for clarifying!

If you don't mind a follow-on question, do you know if screen readers somehow announce if the paragraph is a note? I am wondering how a table with many notes would work. If there are say 5 notes, how does the user know where the notes end and the main text starts again.

• 3. Re: Table footnotes from Word 2010 to pdf
              a_C_student Level 3

Screen readers are highly configurable and can announce and read notes or ignore notes - user preference. If there is a 1 to 1 relationship between reference and note, best practice is to disregard the physical placement of the note and put the <Note> tag as close as practical to the associated <Reference> without disrupting reading order. So, in the case of a table, a <Note> might go in a data cell rather that following the end of the table. If a note has multiple references, gonna be sub-optimal for assistive technology, no getting around it. Rumor has it the next version of PDF will do a better job of associating <Reference> and <Note>.