2 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2006 9:25 AM by Peter Grainge

Ranking search results in WebHelp?

maniac9999 Level 1
      Hey everyone,

Is the any way I can get RoboHelp to automatically rank search results for relevance in a WebHelp project? HTML Help does it automatically and JavaHelp also does it, but I haven't had any luck doing it in WebHelp. Currently, WebHelp results seem to organized alphabetically, which is pretty useless, unless end users don't minding clicking on each result - not likely.

I'm sure if there's a solution it probably involves a JavaScript. Though I'd like to avoid using a script, I'd also like to know if it's possible and how to do it.

Thanks,
      Jim
        • 1. Re: Ranking search results in WebHelp?
          Roger N Level 2
          Jim -

You've probably gathered that there is no button or option to provide a ranked search result. It is possible to construct your own from Javascript - the 'how to' involves a lot of custom scripting, but it's been done.

Perhaps easier would be to use a third-party search tool. There are some commercial ones, as well as some open-license routines that you can incorporate into your help project.
          • 2. Re: Ranking search results in WebHelp?
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            Take a look at the search page on my site. There's a link to the one I use which was simple enough to set up. It's inexpensive, can rank results, can highlight the term in the results and in the page accessed, all are options.