• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does not export to original folder

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I didn't find any post exactly like it.

I used to be able to export edited photos to original folders but now, as soon as I import photos into Lightroom, folders are set up in a 2017 folder in Pictures with the current date and then considers THAT the original folder, which it is not.  I do not want pics exported to a folder it makes up, it makes an extra step for me.  I want them going back to the original folder I imported them from, which is never in Pictures.

I don't know what settings are needed to look at, so have just attached the Export window.  As others have tried to fix similar issues, I've deleted preference files.  I'm probably missing a setting somewhere, but don't know where.  Can anyone help with this?  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 8.07.57 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

I believe you problem is in your Import method.

When you Import photos from your hard-drive you should be using the "ADD" option (above the window) so that the photos are not copied or moved to a new location. (The new location being the 2017 folder)

as I import photos into Lightroom, folders are set up in a 2017 folder in Pictures

Using "ADD" will add the photos to the catalog library but leave them on the hard drive in their 'original' hard-drive folder wherever they are.

If you "Copy" or "Move",

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you problem is in your Import method.

When you Import photos from your hard-drive you should be using the "ADD" option (above the window) so that the photos are not copied or moved to a new location. (The new location being the 2017 folder)

as I import photos into Lightroom, folders are set up in a 2017 folder in Pictures

Using "ADD" will add the photos to the catalog library but leave them on the hard drive in their 'original' hard-drive folder wherever they are.

If you "Copy" or "Move", you are creating a new location for the photos and Lightroom now sees that as the folder where the 'original'  files are stored in your computer. (Also "Copy" creates duplicates of all the photos on your hard-drive)

Now your Export to "Same folder as original" will work as you expect.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That did it!  Thank you soooo much.  This has been bugging me for months, but I don't ever recall clicking "add" to import to get edited photos back into the original folder.  Anyway, it works and I'm grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines