3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 8:16 AM by Szalam

TimeWarp not extending or remapping length of clip

apothecaryentertainment

Hi,

Since the 2017 update it appears that After Effects isn't time warping clips the way it used to in early 2017.  Did something change? Or am I doing something wrong?

Simply, if I had a clip that was 10 seconds long and I Time Warped it to 50% it should become 20 seconds. It doesn't do that anymore, it just changes the speed of the first part of the clip and then cuts it off.

I tried enabling "time remapping" this doesn't work either.

Please help.

Baby step me through this.

Also, If I have the clip in Premiere and I then dynamic link the clip to AE, will the same process work or do I have to do something else?

THANK YOU! So frustrating.

• 1. Re: TimeWarp not extending or remapping length of clip
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Effects cannot extend footage. This has never been any different. You are mistaken. Only the native time-remapping can do this. The rest is unclear since your descriptions are rather vague and lack any genuine technical info. Otherwise AE doesn't discriminate - a layer is a layer is a layer and whether that's a DynamicLink element or a natively imported video doesn't matter.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: TimeWarp not extending or remapping length of clip
            apothecaryentertainment Level 1

Thanks for your answer Mylenium, I appreciate it, if you could help that would be amazing!  I never used native time-remapping before so now I'm confused. So to be clearer, here is what I'm trying to do:

Drag a 10 second clip directly into AE, or dynamically link a 10 second clip that's already in Premiere to AE by right clicking on the clip in Premiere and selecting "replace with AE composition."  Since I was filming the clip knowing I'd do  for slow motion, it is 60fps and a high shutter speed.

I would like to slow this clip down to 50% in AE with time warp and not lose any of the clip. So, theoretically, a 10 second clip slowed down to 50% should come out to be 20 seconds.

Please help. Any help is appreciated.

• 3. Re: TimeWarp not extending or remapping length of clip
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is there a reason you want to use Time Warp?

You could just interpret it (in either Premiere or After Effects interpret footage dialog) as 30 fps.

Alternatively, in After Effects go to Layer>Time>Time Stretch

0timestretch.jpg