2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 2:50 PM by gegjr

Lightroom CC added _2 to converted 5.7 catalogs

gegjr Level 1

First I'm running Windows 10 Home 64bit with all the latest non-beta updates. Sorry to start this way but I knew I shouldn't have subscribed to Lightroom CC now my catalogs are all screwed up. I just subscribed, downloaded and installed Lightroom CC. When I launched the program and selected my catalog(s) Lightroom converted the catalog(s) but added _2 to end of catalogs and previews. Why did this happen? This happened to both my catalogs. Why and how do I fix it?

Also, my photos reside on an external drive (not the catalogs) that is on NAS and was mapped to drive letter Y but I removed the mapping so I could point directly to the absolute drive name instead of using a virtual drive letter. Those of you using Windows will know what I'm talking about and why I made the change. For those that don't know, I made the change because Windows has always had a nasty habit of changing drive letters anytime anything new such as a thumb drive is plugged into the machine. I changed it from the mapped Y drive to \\Wirelessspace\my_photos_and_videos..After the conversion the drive containing my actuals photos which was Y of course could not be found. So I selected the location while inside LRCC and pointed to the absolute drive named \\wirelessspace\my_photos_and_videos. Now I cannot remove the Y drive location. Why and does anyone know how?

BTW I still have LR 5.7 installed so I opened it and in there I was able to re-establish connection to the absolute drive name and easily removed the mapped drive letter.

I hope someone can help. I knew the change was going to be a mistake. I'm going to have to read the terms for a refund because I don't like LRCC. It seems to have lots of quirks.

Regards,

GEGJr

P.S. while trying to synchronize a folder I got the error "An unknown error has occurred while reading the video file. Connecting to Dynamic Link server failed." Does anyone know what heck that means?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC added _2 to converted 5.7 catalogs
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

gegjr  wrote

Lightroom converted the catalog(s) but added _2 to end of catalogs and previews. Why did this happen? This happened to both my catalogs. Why and how do I fix it?

It happens because LR leaves the old LR5 version of the catalogue with its original name, but grabs its previews which it uses for the LR6/CC upgraded catalogue. Just change the names in Explorer, if you want to do so.

Update: Next time you open LR CC, make sure you open the renamed catalogue - easiest way is to double click the catalogue in Explorer.

gegjr  wrote

So I selected the location while inside LRCC and pointed to the absolute drive named \\wirelessspace\my_photos_and_videos. Now I cannot remove the Y drive location. Why and does anyone know how?

Remove from where? In LR, in Explorer?

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC added _2 to converted 5.7 catalogs
            gegjr Level 1

Remove from Lightroom. But never mind now. What I need to understand now is where is the Lightroom CC app link shortcut on my computer. I see Photoshop CC but I don't see Lightroom CC. I do see a Creative Cloud shortcut (icon) that when I open it gives shows open buttons for Photoshop CC 2017, Lightroom CC 2015, Experience Design CC (Beta), Project Felix, and Camera Raw CC. Is this how I have to open Lightroom now? If so why is there an individual Icon for Photoshop CC (outside the Creative Cloud launcher) but no Lightroom CC individual icon? What is Experience Design and Project Felix?

I have been using standalone Lightroom since version 3 as well as Photoshop Elements. I do not understand what all this other stuff is and how I'm suppose launch the apps. This interface is very, very confusing. Is there somewhere I can get an explanation of what happens when installing CC and what I'm supposed to see and how I am supposed to access it?

Do I need to keep the standalone 5.7?

Confused In Indy

GEGJr