1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 1, 2006 10:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

3 newbie questions

uigrrl Level 1
      Hi All,

If this is duplicated, sorry. I got a 404 when I hit post message and I'm not sure it went through....

Anyhow, I'm a designer and I'm new to Flexbuilder. I have CSS understanding and learning a lot more simply by having to apply the properties in Flexbuilder, which is great. I'm creating some UI specs with Flex.

I am baffled, though by a couple of seemingly basic things.

1) HOw do I type just text - what component allows me to just put text into it with paragraphs, etc? Every time I hit the carriage return it takes me out of edit mode..

2) Dumb, but how do I make a link? I assume under Event but not sure. I grabbed the Button link component, but could not figure out how.

3) Last but not least, since we're not thinking pages but rather "states" now, how do I link to another page/state?

I did a good amount of due diligence trying to find answers. If you have any references or quick answers even better, I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate it!

Too bad there is no contextual help in the app - that would be really helpful.
      Thanks!!

• 1. Re: 3 newbie questions
          Level 7
          1) Use <mx:TextArea>. If you want to allow rich text (e.g. bold), use
          <mx:RichTextEditor>.

2) <mx:LinkButton> will give you something that (by default) looks like bold
          text, but when you hover over it, its background changes to light blue (you
          can use styles to change the fonts and colors), and you get a "hand" cursor,
          to indicate that you can click on it. Like this:

<mx:LinkButton label="Adobe Labs"
          click="navigateToURL(new URLRequest(' http://labs.adobe.com'))" />

By default, the navigateToURL() function opens the specified URL in a new
          browser window. If you want it to open in the current window, as an HTML <A>
          tag would, add a second argument to the navigateToURL() call, specifying
          "_self" as the target window:

<mx:LinkButton label="Adobe Labs"
          click="navigateToURL(new URLRequest(' http://labs.adobe.com'), '_self')" />

The fonts and colors can be modified with styles. For example, if you want
          your link to look more like a regular HTML link -- blue, underlined, and not
          bold -- you can add these attributes to the <mx:LinkButton> tag (or to a CSS
          style block):

textDecoration="underline"
          fontWeight="normal"
          color="#0000ff"

3) You move one from state to another by changing the value of the
          'currentState' property.

So let's say you had a LinkButton, and when the user clicked it, you wanted to
          transition to State2. You do it like this:

<mx:LinkButton label="State 2, please" click="currentState = 'State2'" />

> Too bad there is no contextual help in the app - that would be
          > really helpful.

If you press F1, a Help view should open; and as you move around, the Help
          panel's contents should update based on where the cursor is.

Hope that helps...

--
          Mike Morearty
          Developer, Flex Builder team
          http://www.morearty.com/blog

uigrrl wrote:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > If this is duplicated, sorry. I got a 404 when I hit post message and I'm not
          > sure it went through....
          >
          > Anyhow, I'm a designer and I'm new to Flexbuilder. I have CSS understanding
          > and learning a lot more simply by having to apply the properties in
          > Flexbuilder, which is great. I'm creating some UI specs with Flex.
          >
          > I am baffled, though by a couple of seemingly basic things.
          >
          > 1) HOw do I type just text - what component allows me to just put text into it
          > with paragraphs, etc? Every time I hit the carriage return it takes me out of
          > edit mode..
          >
          > 2) Dumb, but how do I make a link? I assume under Event but not sure. I
          > grabbed the Button link component, but could not figure out how.
          >
          > 3) Last but not least, since we're not thinking pages but rather "states" now,
          > how do I link to another page/state?
          >
          > I did a good amount of due diligence trying to find answers. If you have any
          > references or quick answers even better, I'd REALLY REALLY appreciate it!
          >
          > Too bad there is no contextual help in the app - that would be really helpful.
          > Thanks!!
          >
          >
          >