• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

64 Bit PDF thumbnail icons in Windows

Participant ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is probably a topic that has been beaten to death, but is Adobe ever going to fix PDF thumbnails not showing up in 64 bit Windows? It's been broken for years and shows no sign of ever getting fixed. I know there was a fix for this from a guy who ran a company called Pretentious Name Software, but it doesn't work for more recent versions of Windows and hasn't been updated for a long time. Does anybody know the status, if any, of this problem?

Thanks!

Darrell Leland

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what Reader version do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 2017.009.20058. I also have Acrobat Pro DC, and under Preferences > General > Basic Tools I have Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer turned on.

Darrell Leland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for us...we have Windows 7 64-bit and the "Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer" setting doesn't do anything. We do get prompted for the extra files to be installed and it goes through its thing with that. Even after a reboot, our PDFs still show the PDF icon and no thumbnails.

We've tried this with both Adobe Reader DC and Acrobat Professional DC (latest versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:

This guy has a fix for the thumbnail problem. You have to follow the instructions carefully and then delete the old thumbnail cache using Disc Cleanup. But once you do the thumbnails will start appearing like they are supposed to.

As you can see this was a while ago, and the updated version of this he mentions never materialized. You also don't need to use his fix for Adobe reader, since it was patched after he created this. But the .pdf thumbnail problem still exists to this day.

Let me know if you have problems with it.

https://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines