• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aspect Ratio Calculator (in inches)?

Engaged ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing a new brochure and I'm looking for a good aspect ratio calculator to ensure that my images are consistent. Everything I've found online is for screen projects and uses pixels. I need a calculator that uses inches. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

It's not exactly an aspect ratio calculator, but you might not know that in InDesign you can enter math formulas into any box that requires sizes or positions: i.e., if you enter "2.5in x 3" you'll get a 7.5in object or XY position depending upon where you enter the math.

It could help if you're trying to do a ratio of something; if something needs to be 1/3 of something else, you could enter its size and then *.333 (i.e., if something had an X position on the page of 0.4582 in, if you entered 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not exactly an aspect ratio calculator, but you might not know that in InDesign you can enter math formulas into any box that requires sizes or positions: i.e., if you enter "2.5in x 3" you'll get a 7.5in object or XY position depending upon where you enter the math.

It could help if you're trying to do a ratio of something; if something needs to be 1/3 of something else, you could enter its size and then *.333 (i.e., if something had an X position on the page of 0.4582 in, if you entered 0.4582*.3 into the box, it would calculate as 0.1375in).

The bottom line: all of those numeric/units input boxes support this, so you can do some fun math without having to ever open a calculator!

I hope this helps.

Buck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Buck. Yes, I know about that and I use that feature all the time.

I just spent a few weeks working on a new website so I think I may be stuck on aspect ratios because of that. Anyway, I ended up using image sizes that fit the page format of the brochure instead. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without thinking much about it, it occurs to me that I've used Photoshop for this on many occasions. Enter your aspect ratio (units don't matter) in the New Document (legacy) dialog, then use the Image Size dialog (proportions constrained) to "convert" it to any size in whatever units you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should get a Proportion Wheel.

proportion_wheel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or do a Google search on "digital proportion wheel"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using vector art it will scale with no issues. Check the images you are working with on adobe photoshop so you can see their size and resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to add on to this. i use grids to bring all of the art together in the layout and help me balance compositions after i go over all of the images and how far i can take them. Nigel French has a great course on lynda.com on working with grids that is great. Working with girds takes the guess work out of how to place your art and copy on the page to create balance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kcrossley  wrote

I'm designing a new brochure and I'm looking for a good aspect ratio calculator to ensure that my images are consistent. Everything I've found online is for screen projects and uses pixels. I need a calculator that uses inches. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I understand the question. But maybe the following will help:

Do you know that you can type a value in inches in the percentage field (not only the dimensions field)?

So, for example, as you know, you can type 50% into the percentage field, and (if the H and V are linked) it will reduce, proportionally, the image, to half it's original size.

But you can also type 3.5 inches into one of the percentage fields (say the H field), and (if H and V are linked), the image will be resized proportionally such that it's width is 3.5 inches, and its height whatever it needs to be to stay proportional.

HTH,

Ariel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Lots of great info here. Thanks guys. Yes, I do have a proportion wheel, but I haven't used it in years. And yes, I've seen Nigel's course, but I probably need to revisit that. Thanks again folks. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ariel,

DYK if Indesign has a percentage calculator for rescaling to a set proportion? I have read your entry above and know about calculating in percent and measure fields, but I'm looking for a set formula; i.e. if x is --mm long and you want to resize a separate item, of a different length, to the exact same size, so formula; length x is p% of what?...  y = x .100 / p? 
Thanks in advance!  😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @siobhan74 , This thread is from 2017, but a selection’s aspect ratio could be adjusted via a script. This asks for the desired AR, and adjusts either the selection’s width or height. If you select an image it will be scaled to the AR, if you select the parent frame there will be no scaling:

var s = app.activeDocument.selection[0]

main()
function main(){
    if (s.constructor.name == "Rectangle" || s.constructor.name == "Image" || s.constructor.name == "EPS") {
        makeDialog();
    } else {
        alert("Please Select a Placed Object or Rectangle")
        return
    }
}

var w, h, wr, hr;
function makeDialog(){

var theDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"Enter an Aspect ratio", canCancel:true});
    with(theDialog){
        with(dialogColumns.add()){
            with(dialogRows.add()){
                staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Aspect Ratio: "});
                w = realEditboxes.add({editValue:4});
                staticTexts.add({staticLabel:":   "});
                h = realEditboxes.add({editValue:3});
            }
            with(dialogRows.add()){
                    with(radiobuttonGroups.add()){
                        wr = radiobuttonControls.add({checkedState:true});
                        hr = radiobuttonControls.add({checkedState:false});
                    }
                }
                    staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Adjust Width: ", staticAlignment:StaticAlignmentOptions.LEFT_ALIGN, minWidth: 150});
                    staticTexts.add({staticLabel:"Adjust Height: ", staticAlignment:StaticAlignmentOptions.LEFT_ALIGN, minWidth: 150});
                }
            }
        }  
    }
    if(theDialog.show() == true){
        w = w.editValue
        h = h.editValue
        wr = wr.checkedState
        setAR()
        theDialog.destroy();
	}
}

function setAR(){
    var r
    var b = s.geometricBounds
    var sw = b[3]-b[1];
    var sh = b[2]-b[0]

if (wr) {
        r = w/h;
        s.geometricBounds = [b[0], b[1], b[2], b[1]+(sh*r)]
    } else {
        r = h/w
        s.geometricBounds = [b[0], b[1], b[0]+(sw*r), b[3]]
    }
}

Dialog looks like this:

Screen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines