This content has been marked as final. Show 8 replies
So what is the issue you are running into?
Why are you using loadMovieNum and loadMovie?
Isn't anything easier that loadMovie. It's only one line, not too hard to spell, and so on. I mean how hard is that?
Perhaps there is something more appropriate to what you are trying to achieve. But that is a different question and to answer that we would need to know what you are trying to do.
I think I somehow truncated my own post. Sorry. Hazards of being a newb.
Is there some way to keep that from happening?
To keep WHAT from happening?
My original post is truncated when I view the forum page. Most of the post is gone. When I "Preview" the post, it only shows the top of the post.
Does that make sense?
Well yes. But I have no idea why. But I don't think there is anything that can be done about your post at this point – you can't see it and I can't see it.
So let's get on with trying to figure out your original problem. Which was…
Okay. Short version. I used the Behavior menu to add the action listed in the first post. When I preview the movie, I get an "Error loading URL" message. But when I load the resulting movie into a Dreamweaver file, it works fine. When I add the name of my hard drive to the code ("file:///Eris/Users/Tim/Desktop/Local_Sites/SJPA/Images/Hamilton_Bio.swf"), the movie will preview in Flash, but will not work correctly in any browser preview except Firefox. I could create two FLA documents, one with the code that previews correctly from Flash, and the other to insert into the Dreamweaver page, but I can't help but think that's too much effort. I don't know if using "Attach Code" will work, but if it would help make the problem clearer, I'd be happy to try!
Ewwww! Behaviors. I don't know about that. But it seems the code it is providing is a bit crazy.
Personally I would just find typing the code myself to be easier.
Part of what may be going on is that all external file locations are relative to the html page not the swf file. If you are storing your html and swf page in the same folder it shouldn't be a problem with references. An absolute reference like above is bound to cause problems.
Another thing that could be going on is that you are not waiting for the external file to finish loading before trying to do something with it. If you are really new to Flash then it may be quite a project to get that working.
Thank you VERY much. I made the change you suggested, and the Flash movie tested correctly in Flash. It didn't work out of Dreamweaver again, but when I moved the SWF files out of the images folder into the main folder (the one with the HTML pages), it worked fine in Flash and the browser preview out of Dreamweaver. I'm NOT very familiar with actual HTML coding, so I feel at the mercy of the Flash and Dreamweaver panels. I'll have to learn the code so I can fix this kind of stuff, I guess!