2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2006 2:46 AM by miraclemaker

How to prevent cursor keys scrolling whole browser window?

miraclemaker
      I have a flash movie embedded on a we page. You use the cursor keys to control the flash movie. The page is quite long and so has a vertical scroll. The problem I'm having is that when you push up / down on the cursor keys as well as controlling the flash movie it causes the page to scroll up and down in Internet Explorer, despite the flash movie having focus.

This is very annoying. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

Many thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: How to prevent cursor keys scrolling whole browser window?
          2m Level 2
          I never came across that problem, and have no imediat solution, but maybe an idea or two - though nothing brilliant.

easiest solution coul be embeding the flash via an iframe that does not scroll, that should hand over the arrow control to the embeded page, and that has no need for scrolling.

Second would be to write sone javascript/vbscript, that does nothing on press the arrow-keys and (hopefully) deactivates the default behaviour.

Digging msdn might leat to a better solution though.
          • 2. Re: How to prevent cursor keys scrolling whole browser window?
            miraclemaker Level 1
            Yes it is certainly a strange problem. I had exactly the same idea and have already tried embedding the movie in an iframe, unfortunately the problem still persists. What is even stranger is that it works fine on my machine, it's on someone ese's computer in the office we are seeing the problem. They are running the same version of windows and the same version of internet explorer.

I will look into a possible javascript solution and also check out msdn. Thanks for the suggestions.