1 person found this helpful
The error which you have described "JaveScript exception: Error calling selector function: SecurityError: Failed to read the 'contentDocument'" usually comes if there is any external HTML code or a third party widget interfering with the original Muse generated codes of the site.
Can you please share the URL of your site so we can have a look at it?
I have a similar question. In my case, I know the error is related to a Swiftype search box that is embedded in the site using a third party widget, although I've also tried solving this by embedding their html code directly and had the same problem.
As an example, try typing "careers" into the search box at the top of the page, then click on the second result. It goes to the page, but the error comes up first.
This is a huge problem and is making the search engine basically unusable at the moment. Is there any way to disable the error dialog?
Here is the site if you want to have a look: http://www.casenetllc.com/
1 person found this helpful
I am not very sure how to rectify this issue in your case.
As I see that the error only comes when you try navigating to other sub pages of your site through that search bar.
The link it takes is - www.casenetllc.com/sales-solutions-architect.html#sts=Careers
However, when I navigate to the pages normally through the links, it goes well.
Link is - www.casenetllc.com/sales-solutions-architect.html#Careers
Looks like there is an issue with the code itself.
You should get this checked once with the code provider.
2 people found this helpful
Swiftype is a Wordpress plugin designed to work around style codes... Muse doesn't use these types of codes (because they are out of date) and will in fact strip them from its pages. there is no workaround I'm aware of sorry.
in other words, your issue is that you didn't use the correct tool
I would assume your host server is the root cause but we can't go ahead without knowing the site url sorry
Thanks for the information. I was afraid that was likely the case about it being out of date, as Swiftype was originally integrated into the site via a widget from https://www.muse-themes.com/ and they've since apparently abandoned that widget and shifted to their own search tool (which honestly doesn't seem as good at first glance). Anyway, I tried using the embed code from Swiftype, and it behaved exactly the same.
So what you're saying is Swiftype is simply incompatible with Muse altogether and we just need to find another search solution?
Really unfortunate since it was working so well until now, but I appreciate the information!
Thanks for looking into this Ankush. I agree it's a huge problem that it's creating those links as they make no sense. I will contact Swiftype and see what they say too.
Just wanted to update everyone on my issue with Swiftype as I've now found a solution. Turns out the URLs being generated are their way of sending users directly to the relevant text on a page. In other words, the page loads and scrolls down to a certain point on the page. Turns out this functionality can be disabled via their settings on the paid plans; my client was on a free account (which they no longer offer to new users), so this setting wasn't available.
Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the original poster's question as all of my issues ended up being related specifically to these third party search engines. Just to throw this out there, I would love if future versions of Muse would offer ways for these kind of error pop ups to be disabled on production sites. I understand why they are there, but I personally would only want to ever see these show up in testing...never to the end user. I was very glad the Muse team recently added a way to disable the missing files on server error via Muse's app preferences file by the way as that was causing endless frustration over the last several months.
Thank you for sharing your solution here. It will help other users with a similar question.