Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hours Lost for simple chore

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

Super new and totally unsure what I am doing.

I simply want to remove a grey-ish background to super which. I have been using paint but I have been introduced to PS and I would like to know how to do it. Not through a lack of trying have I not succeeded. Watched many videos and read many forums but I just cant seem to do it as not every aspect of my photos it selected!Untitled3.jpg

Not sure if everything is not being selected because some items are white...........

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not possible with this low resolution image that has little to no contrast between the background and parts of objects. The background also has many shades of gray  which makes selecting the background well not possible. If the image was larger you might be able to use the pen to select each of the objects if they do not overlap. Some object here do overlap.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this along with many other photos I wish to edit are not possible?

The only way I actually manage to do it is with brightness and contrast but as you may well know the image loses its true colours and its details.

I was hoping for any easy and quick way as I have 139 of these to do.............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try using Levels instead of Brightness and Contrast. But you are going to have a problem because some of your objects are lighter than the background. Now, you could put a Levels adjustment layer in there and paint out the parts that you don't want to be overexposed, but it's going to take a while to make it look right.

Or you could just leave it pretty much as it is. It doesn't look bad. I actually prefer the grey you have to a full white background!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Szalam,

The greys an ok picture on its own but I required the white background so it would sit nicely within my description page which would include words. It flows far better without the the blockgrey squares

s-l500 (5).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. Yeah, you're going to have to do quite a bit of manual work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR...make your page have a grey background too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha i did think of that but then I would be tinkering with the HTML coding and thats a whole different ball game!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, could you get a different surface to shoot them on? You could shoot toys with different colors on different backgrounds so that they're easier to cut out or maybe just get something that's whiter than you're currently using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would it be easier to put them on a bright red or totally black background and them try to cut them out with a bright white finish for a background using PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be easier for some of them, but a light-colored toy can sometimes get a bit of bleed on the edges with a dark/vibrant color behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Preferably start with a higher res pic than you attached, then:

Go into select and mask. Set it to onion skin and 50% transparency

Do as much of the selection as you can with the quick select tool in S&M (top left)  . You can take away from the selection by holding down Alt whilst brushing

Then manually go round the models tidying up with the brush tool (3rd tool down)  in S&M . Again you can subtract from the selection by holding down Alt.

For this job you don't need refine edge (second brush down) - that is for hair and fur etc.

When you are finished set output to New Layer with Mask.

Add a color fill layer below set to White.

You can double click the mask to re-enter S&M to tidy up or simply click once on the mask and tidy up with a black brush to hide and a white brush to show the layer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines