5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2006 5:39 PM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Problem installing Flex 2 b3

elHidd
      Hi all,

I tried to install Flex Builder 2 Beta 3 on my notebook (1,5 GHz Pentium M Dothan, 1GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP2, JRE 1.5.0_06). When the Flex Builder Splash Screen appears, I get the following error message:

Unable to load and to prepare the installer in GUI mode.

- and setup is aborted. The installer is not corrupt, setup on my workstation from the same file worked without problems.

Can anyone help me with that plz
        • 1. Re: Problem installing Flex 2 b3
          ur_dtrain Level 1
          Mabe you had a conflict with some other running software. Close and disable things like virus protection etc...

Just some thoughts
          • 2. Re: Problem installing Flex 2 b3
            elHidd Level 1
            thanks, ur_dtrain,

for your hint - but I already tried that, I think that's not the problem.

My machine's system is even freshly set up (3 days ago), so there shouldn't be problems with faultily uninstalled software or the like.

Maybe my notebook is too weak for Flex Builder..?
            • 3. Re: Problem installing Flex 2 b3
              elHidd Level 1
              I wonder if there's a way to use the CLI to call the installer with all parameters neccessary for installation, so that the GUI mode, which the installer obviously can't load, won't load at all?
              • 4. Re: Problem installing Flex 2 b3
                elHidd Level 1
                Good news, in the meantime I got it installed.

There seems to be a problem with "FlexBuilder2_B3_05-08.exe"; after it unpacks itself, it seems it can't find the path to the installer files and therefore aborts. Maybe the problem is that my user name contains an exclamation mark and brackets? Here's why I assume this:

FlexBuilder2_B3_05-08.exe unpacks itself to the folder

%system_root%\Documents and Settings\%user_name%\Local Settings\temp

It creates a folder named "I" plus a 10-digit number. The "FlexBuilder2_Installer.exe" is located in the subfolder "Windows".

Calling the file from this folder resulted in the same splash screen and abort message. Then I copied the whole stuff to another location - and this time I was able to select the setup method.

I selected "Plugin", and the installer told me it had to unpack some more files. After unpacking - the same procedure: splash screen - "Unable to load and to prepare the installer in GUI mode". Again, a look in the temp folder helped:

I copied the just unpacked folder "Downloaded Installations" to another folder and ran

\Downloaded Installations\Adobe Flex Builder 2.0 Beta 3 Installer\subinstallers\Plugin\Windows\FlexBuilder2_EclipsePlugins.exe

, which finally did the job.

I do not know what exactly the problem is but I am posting this because it might be of interest for ppl with the same problem or maybe even Adobe staff.
                • 5. Re: Problem installing Flex 2 b3
                  C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3
                  Thanks for posting your workaround to this problem. I'll keep this issue in mind for future versions of the Flex Builder installer, with the aim of avoiding it entirely.

C. Agruss
                  Flex Builder Team