2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 6:58 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director projects on DVD ROM and DVD video

mirone
      Hi all,
      I need your attention and your aid to solve a doubt and a job. I've to create a DVD Video that plays on dvd home players and on macs and windows computers, with dvd readers. Moreover I need that the same DVD contains a directors project (the same project for mac and win system) that start automatically, when the dvd is inserted in a dvd reader of a computer.
      Is it possible?
      Does director make it (DVD video + DVD rom with a directors project?
      Director vs DVD Studio Pro in order to obtain a master DVD hybrid (DVD video + DVD rom with a directors project)?
      Thanks for your attention,
      Mirone
        • 1. Re: Director projects on DVD ROM and DVD video
          Level 7
          Director is NOT a DVD production tool, it 's capable of playing a dvd
          video within the director projectt much like it can play avi video
          assets.

Here's one note on PC/DVD-Video hybred production

http://www.directorforum.de/showthread.php?t=53380
          • 2. Re: Director projects on DVD ROM and DVD video
            Level 7
            > Here's one note on PC/DVD-Video hybred production
            >
            > http://www.directorforum.de/showthread.php?t=53380

Wahey!!! That's me!!! Crikey I don't remember posting to that forum!?!

Anyway, back to your problem - as already noted there really isn't an
            elegant way of solving it! You quite literally have to whack everything into
            one folder - when it comes to hybrid DVD-Videos there's no 'nice partitions'
            as we have with hybrid CD-ROM I'm afraid!

The route I took was to develop the DVD-Video and add the Director Windows
            projector and its gubbings via the ROM content folder [used Encore - but
            DVDSP isn't too far apart].

Also within this DVD-ROM folder lay a Mac disc image [DMG] of our Director
            Mac projector with it's associated Xtras, etc. - with enough time on my
            hands I could easily have added asset sharing but time was tight to say the
            least and I knew I had lots and lots of space on the DVD so basically
            packaged all the assets together with the projector within the
            aforementioned Mac disc image. I also added a PDF + text document at the DVD
            root level explaining to Mac users that they would have to mount the
            included Mac disc image to gain access to the data side of the disc.

As it's been pointed out already it isn't pretty and it isn't elegant,
            but... it works!! I was also advised by our replicator's that this is the
            "safest" way to go. Yes you could try the Mac partitions route but there
            really is NO guarantee that all standalone DVD players are capable of
            reading the final disc - I wasted numerous coasters with such ideas and it
            was very, VERY hit and miss!

If you've a wide DVD-Video collection take a look around at some of the
            titles that hold ROM content as well and you'll find that the big studios
            also produce their DVD's in the same fashion, for example [off the top of my
            head] the Matrix trilogy are produced in this way.

Good luck...