Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does the entirePath function cope with variables in curvy

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I try to make cake pieces out of a circle with defined gaps between the cake pieces. The amount of pieces depend on what the user entered as number:

Below you see what I have. It makes cake oeices, but the connection between starting segment and ending segment is a straight line. Jongwares collection says:

entirePath:

A list of the coordinates of all of the path points on the path, including anchor points and left- and right-direction points. When creating a path using this property, supply either a list of anchor point coordinates ([[x1, y1], [x2, y2], ...]) or a list of anchor point, left-direction point, and right-direction point coordinates ([[[x1, y1], [x2, y2], [x3, y3]], [[x4, y4], [x5, y5], [x6, y6]], ...]). Note: Providing only anchor points results in a path on which all of the path points are connected with straight line segments; supplying the positions of left- and right-direction points specifies curved line segments. Can return: Array of Arrays of 2 Units.

I understand it like this:

if I want to have a straight line, you just give coordinates single points composing of x and y

e.g. for a triangle

var path = entirePath([ [x1, y1], [x2,y2], [x3,y3] ]);

if I want to have one curved line, you need to add the coordinates of the ends of the right and left handle to the points composing of x and y

e.g. for a triangle

var path = entirePath([ [x1, y1], [x2,y2], [ [x3_1,y3_1], [x3_2,y3_2], [x3_3,y3_3] ] ]);

Now I wrote in my example the variable myPath in line 62. And I get an error message marking line 63 "entirePath", no other information, I have no clue were the mistake is.

So if anybody has an idea were my mistake is, I would appreciate the help.

Best

Cleo

var myDocument = app.documents.add();

var myOutsideY1 = 70;

var myOutsideX1 = 210;

var myOutsideY2 = myOutsideY1+450;

var myOutsideX2 = myOutsideX1+450;

var myCircleOutside = myDocument.ovals.add({

geometricBounds: [myOutsideY1, myOutsideX1, myOutsideY2, myOutsideX2],

//fillColor: "Farbcode",

strokeWeight: 2,

//strokeColor: myBlack,

name: "outside"

});

var myInsideY1 = myOutsideY1+20;

var myInsideX1 = myOutsideX1+20;

var myInsideY2 = myInsideY1+410;

var myInsideX2 = myInsideX1+410;

var myCircleInside = myDocument.ovals.add({

geometricBounds: [myInsideY1, myInsideX1, myInsideY2, myInsideX2],

//fillColor: "Farbcode",

strokeWeight: 1,

//strokeColor: myBlack,

name: "inside"

});

// selecting the inner circle to split it in the right amount of FoFes

app.select( app.activeDocument.pageItems.item("inside")); 

// asking for the amount of FoFes with the "prompt()" function

var myFoFe = prompt("Bitte geben Sie ein ganzzahlige Anzahl an Forschungsfeldern an: ");

// checking if something has to be entered and the number entered is higher than 1

if (myFoFe != null && myFoFe > 1){

// determining the different variables to calculate later the angles for the segments

var myGapSize = 4.5; // place between the FoFe segments

var myGapSpace = myGapSize*myFoFe; // how much space the gaps take in total

var myFoFeSize = (360-myGapSpace)/myFoFe; // 360° - all the degrees the gaps will take, calculating what is left for the FoFe segments

//     alert(myFoFeSize, "myFoFeSize");

var myFoFeAngle = myFoFeSize*(Math.PI/180);        // javascript is calculating in radians, that is why the angle has to be converted from degree to radians: radians = degrees * (Math.PI/180)

var myGapAngle = myGapSize*(Math.PI/180);

// determine the center and the radius of my selected circle

var myCircleCenter = [(app.selection[0].geometricBounds[3]+app.selection[0].geometricBounds[1])/2, (app.selection[0].geometricBounds[2]+app.selection[0].geometricBounds[0])/2];

var myCircleRadius = Math.max ((app.selection[0].geometricBounds[3]-app.selection[0].geometricBounds[1])/2, (app.selection[0].geometricBounds[2]-app.selection[0].geometricBounds[0])/2);

//    alert(myCircleCenter, "myCircleCenter");

//    alert(myCircleRadius, "myCircleRadius");

// generating the fragments

var myStartAngle = 0;

for (i=0; i<myFoFe; i++){   // the loop is going as often as FoFes were chosen

//     alert(myFoFe, "tells how many times the for loop is running");

var myEndAngle = myStartAngle + myFoFeAngle;

//     alert(myEndAngle, "myEndAngle");

// warning: math! (though this is SIMPLE compared to what I've bin doing today) 

var mySegmentStart = [myCircleCenter[0] + myCircleRadius*Math.sin(myStartAngle), myCircleCenter[1] - myCircleRadius*Math.cos(myStartAngle)];    // coordinates for the end of the path which defines the start of the segment (this is just a point)

var mySegmentEnd = [myCircleCenter[0] + (myCircleRadius*Math.sin(myEndAngle)), myCircleCenter[1] - myCircleRadius*Math.cos(myEndAngle)];

// create surrounding border 

var mySegmentBorder = app.activeDocument.graphicLines.add();

var myNinteeAngle = 90*(Math.PI/180);

var myPath = [myCircleCenter, [mySegmentStart, (myStartAngle+myNinteeAngle)], [mySegmentEnd, (myEndAngle - myNinteeAngle)]]; // noch dran hängen an "myPath"

mySegmentBorder.paths[0].entirePath = myPath;

mySegmentBorder.paths[0].pathType = PathType.CLOSED_PATH;

myStartAngle = myEndAngle + myGapAngle;

} // end of for-loop

// here naming all polygone (choose all items named "Polygon" and give them labels/names: poly1 - poly xy

} // end of if

else {alert("Die Zahl muss größer asein")};

} // end of if

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

"entirePath" expects an array of single points (an array of [x,y]), OR point/left control/right control triplets (an array of [ [x,y], [lcx,lcy], [rcx,rcy] ]). Mind you, I'm never sure about the exact order of these last three. My documentation is what Adobe told me, and I could be mistaken but I think there is an error somewhere.

However, I am sure that it should be either one coordinate pair or three pairs. Your code, which, by the way looks very good despite being not-working, contains a mix o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"entirePath" expects an array of single points (an array of [x,y]), OR point/left control/right control triplets (an array of [ [x,y], [lcx,lcy], [rcx,rcy] ]). Mind you, I'm never sure about the exact order of these last three. My documentation is what Adobe told me, and I could be mistaken but I think there is an error somewhere.

However, I am sure that it should be either one coordinate pair or three pairs. Your code, which, by the way looks very good despite being not-working, contains a mix of coordinate pairs and this element:

(myStartAngle + myNineteeAngle)

of which I cannot readily see what type it is. It cannot be a coordinate pair because you can't add arrays this way.

Best way to proceed: manually draw a segment, then inspect what its entirePath returns, and use that as a template for your own calculations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

it is based mainly on your script, this is probably the part which looks good.

Concerning the array for entirePath I figured out the locations of the coordinates for the handles:

So I'm still working on the calculation for the coordinates, I will keep the "discussion" updated when I finally have nice pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines