9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 5:03 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Expressions Not Updating?

Marc Trzepla Level 1

Currently running After Effects 14.2.0.198 and this is on both Macintosh and Windows.

There will be expressions that do not visually update to what the value says it is.

Example ... layer Opacity without an expression is 0%, layer is not visible. 

Add an expression (if/else toggle) for either 100% or 0% ... the expression will be enabled (no syntax errors) and the value colored in 'red' showing it has an expression on it ... of 0% ... but the layer will be 100% visible.   Stunner is that if I temporarily turn off the expression the layer disappears because the Opacity without an expression is 0%.  Toggle back on the expression-driven value of 0% and the layer is visible again.

Same with position.  I have Position expressions placing items in random locations.  If I dial in new seed values I can watch the 'red' expression-enabled position value change... but the layer itself doesn't move to the new position.

Edit -> Purge -> All Memory / All Memory & Disk Cache / Image Cache Memory has no effect.

Many times quitting AE and opening it back up refreshes to the correct value.

Any thoughts what's causing this?     Expressions are expressions are expressions... they return a value and the value 'should' visually reflect the numbers that correctly update in the 'red' text value field.     But don't.       

Thanks,

Marc

• 1. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't reproduce any of the problems you are talking about. We don't have any idea what is going on in your comp. Try this. Select the layer or layers that are giving you problems and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. Make sure the composition is selected in the Project Panel so we can see the comp details. Print screen and then paste to the reply field on the forum. On a Mac press Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 to take a screenshot and drag it to the reply field from the desktop. Then give us workflow details so we can see what's going on. If the expressions take up more than one line then it would also be a good idea to copy and paste them to the forum. Without details I don't know what to suggest.

• 2. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
            tristansummers Level 1

We know that an expression value is not being displayed in the Composition viewer.

An expression that usually works.

We know that emptying the cache does not correct it.

We know that sometimes restarting after effects makes the viewer refresh properly.

That in itself is a great finding and a great mystery.

The image is still stored in RAM somewhere?

We know that both expressions and previews have been re-coded recently.

As a user it is hard because we can't see behind the curtain to troubleshoot the inconsistency.

It seems clear this is an image cache issue.

I am trawling the forums for tips to solving this myself.

I'm wondering about all the different cahce points in a computer, processor, RAM, where could the ghosts be hiding?

• 3. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

For anyone who saw my posts about this in their notification disregard them.  I'm a complete moron.

• 4. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                lukehaddock Level 1

I use Dan Ebberts marker sync expression all the time.

Dan Ebberts's Expressioneering Design Guide

Long story short, its an expression that controls the time remap value of a nested composition.

What's weird is that I can see time remap value stop changing while scrubbing through the timeline (as it should), but the layer continues to animate as though time remap is still changing. This is not a user error, its a bug. And the sooner it gets fixed the better. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                  Marc Trzepla Level 1

Sorry for the radio silence - my original post was the day before vacation... I was busy trying to crank out everything that was due before I left.  Didn't have time to reply.

Rick or anyone interested - here are screen captures of two sample expressions that don't update, the comp settings for one, and some effect sliders I used 'in' the expressions to dial in some values.

I did find that UN-checking the option in Preferences -> Display -> "Hardware Accelerate...Panels" helped 'a little' which makes me wonder if this is a display issue.  Bummer it didn't resolve this 100% ... stinks when things only end up a 'little' fixed, you know?

I'll make sure to post this to the Bug Report.

Expression Problem 1.jpg

Expression Problem 2.jpg

Expression Problem 3.jpg

Expression Problem 4.jpg

• 6. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Marc+Trzepla  wrote

Currently running After Effects 14.2.0.198 and this is on both Macintosh and Windows.

Have you tried the 14.2.1.x update?

• 7. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                      Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Marc Trzepla,

Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if our experts’ advice helped you or if you still need help.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 8. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                        Marc Trzepla Level 1

Kevin,Szalam -

No, this issue still persists.

However, it's a tough target to aim for since we're working under peculiar conditions.   As I understand it - the Engineering department gets some kind of pre-packaged, enterprise-level distribution of Creative Cloud that's then checked and blessed internally (by whom, I have no idea, it's a big company) and then dished out throughout the network's offices for consistency.  So unlike Home, where my personal CC subscription is up-to-date as soon as the new releases come out, I'm at the mercy of this packaging process when it comes to getting the latest and greatest dot releases.      Which may fix the issue.   I had not considered taking the projects home to test them.  Perhaps I will.

Thank you,

Marc

• 9. Re: Expressions Not Updating?
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sounds frustrating, Marc. I know that IT admins are notoriously slow at updating creative software. That's a problem in companies everywhere, unfortunately. All you can do is continue to ask for the update as soon as it comes out. I hope that the issue has been fixed in current versions. Please let us know what you come up with in your tests, that is, if you have time.

Thanks,
                          Kevin