I can't reproduce any of the problems you are talking about. We don't have any idea what is going on in your comp. Try this. Select the layer or layers that are giving you problems and press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. Make sure the composition is selected in the Project Panel so we can see the comp details. Print screen and then paste to the reply field on the forum. On a Mac press Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + 3 to take a screenshot and drag it to the reply field from the desktop. Then give us workflow details so we can see what's going on. If the expressions take up more than one line then it would also be a good idea to copy and paste them to the forum. Without details I don't know what to suggest.
We know that an expression value is not being displayed in the Composition viewer.
An expression that usually works.
We know that emptying the cache does not correct it.
We know that sometimes restarting after effects makes the viewer refresh properly.
That in itself is a great finding and a great mystery.
The image is still stored in RAM somewhere?
We know that both expressions and previews have been re-coded recently.
As a user it is hard because we can't see behind the curtain to troubleshoot the inconsistency.
It seems clear this is an image cache issue.
I am trawling the forums for tips to solving this myself.
I'm wondering about all the different cahce points in a computer, processor, RAM, where could the ghosts be hiding?
For anyone who saw my posts about this in their notification disregard them. I'm a complete moron.
I use Dan Ebberts marker sync expression all the time.
Long story short, its an expression that controls the time remap value of a nested composition.
What's weird is that I can see time remap value stop changing while scrubbing through the timeline (as it should), but the layer continues to animate as though time remap is still changing. This is not a user error, its a bug. And the sooner it gets fixed the better. Thanks.
Sorry for the radio silence - my original post was the day before vacation... I was busy trying to crank out everything that was due before I left. Didn't have time to reply.
Rick or anyone interested - here are screen captures of two sample expressions that don't update, the comp settings for one, and some effect sliders I used 'in' the expressions to dial in some values.
I did find that UN-checking the option in Preferences -> Display -> "Hardware Accelerate...Panels" helped 'a little' which makes me wonder if this is a display issue. Bummer it didn't resolve this 100% ... stinks when things only end up a 'little' fixed, you know?
I'll make sure to post this to the Bug Report.
Hi Marc Trzepla,
Sorry for this issue. Did you ever find a solution? Please let us know if our experts’ advice helped you or if you still need help.
No, this issue still persists.
However, it's a tough target to aim for since we're working under peculiar conditions. As I understand it - the Engineering department gets some kind of pre-packaged, enterprise-level distribution of Creative Cloud that's then checked and blessed internally (by whom, I have no idea, it's a big company) and then dished out throughout the network's offices for consistency. So unlike Home, where my personal CC subscription is up-to-date as soon as the new releases come out, I'm at the mercy of this packaging process when it comes to getting the latest and greatest dot releases. Which may fix the issue. I had not considered taking the projects home to test them. Perhaps I will.
Sounds frustrating, Marc. I know that IT admins are notoriously slow at updating creative software. That's a problem in companies everywhere, unfortunately. All you can do is continue to ask for the update as soon as it comes out. I hope that the issue has been fixed in current versions. Please let us know what you come up with in your tests, that is, if you have time.