3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 11:32 AM by ashleys21591

Hyperlinks Issue

ashleys21591

I have CC 2017, and have created a catalog with hyperlinks to charts that are .pdf. When I hyperlink to the .pdf in InDesign, the hyperlink works; i.e. when I click on the file in the hyperlink panel, it goes to the .pdf I want. However, when I export the InDesign file to a .pdf, the hyperlink take you to a URL (default homepage in Chrome).

I have tried deleting the hyperlink, recreating it and the same thing happens.

Is there a setting that I need to change? I have more than one hyperlink to a chart (ie multiple charts I have separate hyperlinks to), and none of them are working.

Here is a screenshot of what the hyperlink looks like:

Here is what the hyperlink panel looks like. Even though I have the hyperlink linked to a file, it is showing up as a URL. I think this is where the problem lays, but I don't know how to fix it. I know that is needs to read the file name and not "http://." The path is "broken" I guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Hyperlinks Issue
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The destination path needs to be a location that will be accessible from the deployed final PDF, typically the URL of the file on a live server. Your destination path looks "local," and rather deep.

To use a local path, make it zero levels deep by placing a copy of the target PDF in the same folder where you'll export the PDF containing the hyperlink, and set the destination path to \targetFilename.pdf

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hyperlinks Issue
            ashleys21591 Level 1

I did as you suggested, and the hyperlink still opened to the homepage of Chrome. Is there a setting I need to fix on either the pdf or in the hyperlink in the InDesign file??

• 3. Re: Hyperlinks Issue
              ashleys21591 Level 1

I ended figuring out that I needed to update my pdf reader. I read that a lot of people where having problems with their pdf reader not reading hyperlinks correctly when exporting from InDesign to pdf. I figured it was my pdf reader because in InDesign the hyperlinks were linking correctly when I checked where the hyperlinks went.

If you're having the same problem, check what version pdf reader you have. Updating it might be the fix!