11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 6:46 AM by 7865436

Missing dialog box in LR export

I have been having so many problem since my last update! I also can not get to Adobe support to chat or call them, it only allows me to ask here.

I hope you all don't get tired of me asking for help.

I did search and found out what my settings should be but it has not fixed the problem.

I have LR/ PS CC

when I'm in LR editing a photo and click " edit in Adobe PS 2017... "

i no longer get the box to check "edit a copy" or "edit original" and so on.

it just opens in PS then when i "save" and it shoots it back to LR and it is next to my original.

So i dont know if a copy was sent or what!?

In preferences i have

re set the dialog warnings.

Checked stack with original

I'm can not find how to get that dialog box back!?

thank you

• 1. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When Lightroom and Camera Raw are in sync and at the same level, there isn't any need to give you that choice. Lightroom is able to send the image to Photoshop, Camera Raw is able to interpret all of the adjustments that have been made, and you are able to complete your work in Photoshop. Camera Raw is used to convert the image to a pixel-based image which is what is opened in Photoshop, although it isn't yet saved. After you complete your work using Photoshop, the image is then saved as a PSD or TIF file (depending on your Lightroom preferences) and added to the Lightroom catalog. That is the file that appears next to the original in Lightroom. It is a new file that includes all of the adjustments that were done using Photoshop. If you made adjustments to that image and then chose to edit that image in Photoshop you would be given the choice to edit the original or a copy with Lightroom adjustments.

• 2. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You only get that dialog box if you are sending a TIFF, PSD or JPG image. If you are sending a RAW file that dialog box never comes up.

• 3. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
              7865436 Level 1

Jim thank you so much for your help. I don't know how to reply to both of you at once so i will make a separate reply.

when i import my photos from my card to LR i have them changed to dng is that the same as raw?

on your last sentence, yes that is how i did it, I edited in LR then chose to edit next inPS as i always have.

but now since the update not givin the choice to choose copy...original and so on?!

So is it sending my LR edits to photoshop, sorry if that is a stupid question.

before the update last week or so I was always givin the choice. so was it sending Jpegs and i didn't realize it?

• 4. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                7865436 Level 1

thank you for your help. I did respond to Jim above also.

to be honest i dont know what i was sending to PS. all my photos import to dng. I dont know if that is raw!

I assumed i was always sending DNG to PS not Jpegs!

I still dont understand how all my preferences changed, or did they?

• 5. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There is a good Flow Diagram to help explain your question at-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/whats-the-difference-between-render-using-lig htroom-and-open-anyway-in-the-…

DNG files are RAW files as are NEF, CR2, etc

JPG,TIFF,PSD, etc  are considered as rendered (pixel) files.

Perhaps a program (& ACR) update has changed your options un-noticed.

• 6. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                    7865436 Level 1

thank you!

i will go read this link.

it must have changed because i always got the option to send a copy or what ever.

Isant this better though because raw is better than jpeg and if it sends it back a psd that is better than jpeg correct?

• 7. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export

Any RAW file that is opened in Photoshop has to be rendered to a 'pixel' file- that can be JPG, TIFF, PSD-  the options are yours for the quality you want. (Option is set in the Lr preferences- External Editing)

TIFF and PSD are the best for 'quality' especially if you intend to re-open the file to do further editing on another occasion. (Note: For future editing in Ps you must now edit the "Original" if you are to preserve any layers you have in the TIFF or PSD image!)

Every time you edit and save a JPG file you are applying more (destructive) compression to the image.

• 8. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                        7865436 Level 1

awesome info, thank you so so much!

After i read the article tonight may i come back tomorrow if i have questions?

so how do i mark all of you with correct answer?

• 9. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                          7865436 Level 1

wobertc, Thank you.

I did read the link you sent and it explained it all, so i get that now.

When i "save" in PS and it put a PSD back in my film strip at the bottom of LR do i have 2 big files now for one photo, a DNG and a PSD?

I clicked in LR preferences "stack with original" does that mean they are one next to each other to find them easer?

you also said this,  in the underlined part, does that mean i need to "save as" also, and save it to PS organizer to keep the layers, would that be the original your talking about?

TIFF and PSD are the best for 'quality' especially if you intend to re-open the file to do further editing on another occasion. (Note: For future editing in Ps you must now edit the "Original" if you are to preserve any layers you have in the TIFF or PSD image!)

Thank you again for everyones help

• 10. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export

1.  "Two big files...."  This is unavoidable. If you want to do edits in Photoshop then it must create a rendered image file as well as the 'out of camera' raw file.

Stacking is simply a method to condense your Library grid view with choosing the favorite edit photo 'on top'

2. No. Do not use "Save As".   The correct method when you go from Lightroom with "Edit In" is to do the Photoshop edits then simply "Save" & close. This is the only way that the Photoshop edit automatically appears back in the Lr library grid.  ("Save As" creates a file that must be Imported or folder synchronized into Lr)

Open the "Original"-   Now this is confusing to many people.  When you re-open the PSD file with 'Edit In' you can open a 'copy with Lr edits', or open the 'Original'  (or an Original copy).

Lightroom is referring to the created PSD file as the "original"- Not the camera RAW!

If you do some more Lightroom editing on a PSD image, and do choose the "open with Lightroom edits" then any layers in the (original PSD) file are flattened (and lost from the new Photoshop editing).

So many people would adopt a workflow that uses Lightroom development to the maximum then edit in Photoshop as the last step, and only if necessary!  Or "Edit In" by opening as a Smart Layer and have the use of ACR in Photoshop.

• 11. Re: Missing dialog box in LR export
                              7865436 Level 1

wobertc, thank you so so much for all your help!

I get all of it now! Thank you for your easy to understand in-depth answers to my questions.

have a wonderful rest of your day!