• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Collect files from multiple projects in one folder ?

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, my question is pretty straight forward, (see the title) but here's some background;
I have over 60 after effect projects and I want to collect files from all these projects into a single folder so I can put all these projects on an external device and work from different locations. I could potentially collect files from all the projects individually, but not only it will take a lot of time, a lot of them sometimes use same images/videos/sounds, so if i do that I will end up with a lot of copies of the same file which is very inefficient space-wise. Also even if i after that try to remove the copies of the same medias, I will end up with projects that can't find the media because it's not linked and i'll have to go over that and relink manually all of that which takes a lot of time, so I would like to know if there is a way to collect files for all the projects into a single big folder, without me having to relink each and every project manually?

Bonus question, is there a way to make so the report shows every Font that has been used throughout the projects so if need be I can easly download them ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Simply import all relevant projects into an empty project, let it consolidate the sources and then collect. Solves all your issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply import all relevant projects into an empty project, let it consolidate the sources and then collect. Solves all your issues.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File naming, file structure and project management is an extremely important skill to master. To really be efficient every project should have the same file structure and naming conventions. Not only will this help you return to the project later, but it will help tremendously when you have to send off part of a production to someone else for completion. I'm currently working on 2 projects with many terabytes of footage. If we didn't all follow the same naming conventions and file structure sharing projects would involve a huge mess of sending drives across state lines by UPS or FedEX and wasting time. More than 90% of the students that I work with do not have any defined file structure or naming conventions, more than 60% of my clients, even one firm with about 15,000 clients, do not have or carefully follow naming conventions and file structure. Without the search function in the file browser they would be completely lost.

Set up a system, use it for all projects, then when you need to share a project or consolidate files for archiving things will go much faster and you'll never have lost media again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I figured that out the hard way, I started working for a start up 9 months ago and I was a rookie, now if i may say so myself i'm better than I used to, but now since there wasa a curve of progress the 60+ videos that I made have a different naming convention and medias are stored in different folders, the latest projects that I've worked on have a clear naming conventions so I can easly figure where's what, But since my early work is a mess, i have to go over that, and try to not f up the linking between medias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines