• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I find document dimensions in inches in Bridge?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a company that has yearly print ad campaigns. The InDesign ad files are provided to me by our parent company. All I have to do is resize the ads for each publication we advertise in. It adds up to several hundred ads of all different sizes each year.

Each InDesign document is sized to the ad dimensions (as opposed to the ad layout being placed in the middle of an 8.5 x 11 InDesign page, for example). All of the ads are stored in one folder.

When I have to do a new ad, I would like to be able to quickly see if I have already done an ad in the requested size or close to that size. It would greatly reduce or eliminate the time it takes to resize ads.

I thought there would be a way in Bridge to quickly see the dimensions of each ad (in inches). In Bridge / Preferences / Thumbnails / Details, you can click the checkbox to show thumbnail metadata and select "Dimensions (in inches)", but it appears to only show dimensions for JPG files, not InDesign files. Same with Bridge's Metadata panel.

Is there an existing way in Bridge to see the dimensions of an InDesign ad in inches without having to open the InDesign file and look at the Document Setup dialog box?

Ideally, I'd love to see it in the metadata at the bottom of each thumbnail in Bridge. Or in the metadata panel in Bridge. Or to launch a script (that shows a list of all the ad files in a folder) that has columns for the ad file name, width in inches, and height in inches. Or maybe to export to a spreadsheet (like Excel) with those columns. Is any of this possible via custom scripting?

Any help, advice, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Steve

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise

x-64 based PC

Adobe Bridge CC 2017 Release - 7.0.0.93 x64

Adobe InDesign CC 2017.1 Release - 12.1.0.56 x64

Let me know if you need any more specs

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has of course been discussed many times (one example here), with no solution provided by Adobe. This is of course complex, however Adobe should be able to work around the complexity and offer a solution.

You could try duplicating your post here:

Products: Bridge

Or here:

Bridge Feature Requests

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines