10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2006 11:30 AM by epherim

rgb color

epherim
      I am unable to print pure whites from a jpeg file. I understand I need to use rgb in order to print pure whites. How do I use rgb to print pure whites? I am using firestarter mx. on a mac running 10.4.4.
        • 1. Re: rgb color
          Level 7
          On Tue, 23 May 2006 04:31:17 +0400, epherim <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
          wrote:

> I am unable to print pure whites from a jpeg file. I understand I need
          > to use
          > rgb in order to print pure whites. How do I use rgb to print pure
          > whites? I am
          > using firestarter mx. on a mac running 10.4.4.

If your printer color management is ok, you must be having pure white from
          RGB 255,255,255. Be warned however that JPEG compression may turn this
          color into something like pale red.

--
          Ilya Razmanov
          http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
          • 2. Re: rgb color
            epherim Level 1
            Thanks for the help. Yes, that is my problem. Although in my case the white prints from a professional lab with a blue tint. So, how do I apply the RGB 255, 255, 255 to a file in Fireworks MX?
            • 3. Re: rgb color
              Level 7
              epherim wrote:
              > Thanks for the help. Yes, that is my problem. Although in my case the
              > white prints from a professional lab with a blue tint. So, how do I
              > apply the RGB 255, 255, 255 to a file in Fireworks MX?

My question is, why would you be using Fireworks to create anything that
              ends up at a professional printer? Using RGB is ok (and even prefered)
              for printing to ordinary desktop printers but is unsuited for any kind
              of print work. Since Fireworks does not support the CMYK color space and
              since it was not made for print work at al you should really be using
              another app. And btw, JPG is really the last file format you should use
              to send a professional printer. At the very least export your artwork in
              TIFF format. It won't shift colors as the JPG format does.

--
              St�phane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: rgb color
                Level 7
                On Tue, 23 May 2006 17:54:19 +0400, epherim <webforumsuser@macromedia.com>
                wrote:

> Thanks for the help. Yes, that is my problem. Although in my case the
                > white prints from a professional lab with a blue tint. So, how do I
                > apply the RGB 255, 255, 255 to a file in Fireworks MX?

It depends on what do you mean by "apply".

1) If you mean that are creating new graphics, then just use white where
                appropriate, then save image is loseless format like TIFF. If for some
                reason you *must* be using JPEG, use highest possible quality, that is,
                lowest possible compression.

2) If you already created image and saved as JPEG, then open it with FW
                and check whether white turned to something or not. If yes, I'd suggest
                playing with "Levels" high input setting to fix it (lwer it a bit less
                than 255 to turn corresponding value to 255).

However, you may be having color cast due to unknown printer profile and
                absence of any profile in FW file. On the other side, I wouldn't expect it
                with pure white. If we have situation 2) here, first thing you should do
                is check your would-be-white with eyedropper in FW and see if the cast
                exist there.

--
                Ilya Razmanov
                http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                • 5. Re: rgb color
                  nottheusual1
                  The problem is the RGB to CMYK conversion used by the "professional lab". It is always better to do the conversion yourself and test print it for things like over saturation and shift. We've seen some awful algorithms that really smack reds and browns around and create a "palor" in white areas.

JPEG files in the CMYK color space at high resolution with no compression will turn out far more accurate pictures than most people need, but the images have to be well proofed before being used. NEVER NEVER rely on any process you don't control (or aren't familiar with the results) to do RGB to CMYK conversions.

It is always preferred to do print images as print images. In many cases, it takes less time to re-create an image in the correct color space with the correct specs than to take a low-res Web RGB image and try to pump it up to print specs.

BTW - we've actually used Fireworks to do print images (and designed at 96dpi, then upped the resolution to 300dpi before outputing it - Fireworks does this nicely) - we liked some of the effects and the simplicity of applying them - but none were at all color sensitive, and we've learned what the RGB to CMYK conversion can do, so we stayed away from the colors that change the most dramatically.
                  • 6. Re: rgb color
                    epherim Level 1
                    Thanks for the tip on using TIFF format. As a neophyte, I was unaware of this. I will export future files as a TIFFs. What app do you suggest I use for exporting files to a professional printer?
                    • 7. Re: rgb color
                      epherim Level 1
                      Thankyou for the suggestions. I will try all of them and also export files in TIFF format.
                      • 8. Re: rgb color
                        epherim Level 1
                        Thankyou, I appreciate your comments
                        • 9. Re: rgb color
                          Level 7
                          epherim wrote:
                          > Thanks for the tip on using TIFF format. As a neophyte, I was unaware
                          > of this. I will export future files as a TIFFs. What app do you
                          > suggest I use for exporting files to a professional printer?

What version of Fireworks do you have and did you buy the whole Studio?
                          If you have a version of Studio MX 2004 (the one before Studio 8) or
                          Studio MX (the one before MX 2004) you have access to FreeHand. It would
                          be a much better suited application for doing print work. If you have
                          Studio 8 then I can't recommend you buy FreeHand separately as its
                          future is uncertain after the Macromedia/Adobe merger. FreeHand is still
                          worth it IMO and you may look into it but Illustrator CS2 would probably
                          be a better choice at this point. I use both in my work for different
                          tasks (I have two jobs).

--
                          St�phane Bergeron
                          reach : connect : communicate
                          http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                          blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                          http://www.pixelyzed.com
                          • 10. Re: rgb color
                            epherim Level 1
                            Thanks. Frankly, I was afraid you would suggest purchasing another app and I assumed it would be an Adobe product.