Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera RAW problems with newly installed CS6

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've installed CS6 today, updated all the software, including the plug-ins, but I can't open up my 5D Mark IV 'CR2' RAW Files in Camera RAW. I keep getting the error message that 'Photoshop cannot open this file'. I've even tried downloading the most up-to-date version of Camera RAW separately and then rebooting, but I'm still receiving the same message. All the software is up-to-date......

In addition, I'm unable to even open JPEG or TIFFs in Camera RAW. 

I kept my old version (CS3) installed just in case there was a problem with CS6 - might this be the reason Camera RAW is not responding??? CS6 seemed to have installed without any glitches - it's just Camera RAW that is unresponsive.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Kindest regards

Iain

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Hi Jack

The Canon 5D Mk1V requires ACR version 9.7 or later

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Unfortunately the latest version that is compatible with CS6 is ACR 9.1.1

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

So you have a choice.
a. Subscribe to Photoshop CC (the Photography plan gets you Photoshop and Lightroom)

or

b.Download the free DNG convertor, convert your ACR files to DNG and open the DNGs in CS6

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack

The Canon 5D Mk1V requires ACR version 9.7 or later

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Unfortunately the latest version that is compatible with CS6 is ACR 9.1.1

Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

So you have a choice.
a. Subscribe to Photoshop CC (the Photography plan gets you Photoshop and Lightroom)

or

b.Download the free DNG convertor, convert your ACR files to DNG and open the DNGs in CS6

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave,

If I download the DNG convertor and convert my 5D Mark IV Files, I'm assuming there's no loss or reduction in file size/data?

Any idea why I can't seem to open JPEGs or TIFFs? I don't seem to be able to open Camera RAW at all?

Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG convertor converts the RAW file to a container that can be opened in your version of ACR. It does not throw away the raw data.

There is a limitation with your particular camera and that is the "dual pixel" function. See this link for more :

Working with Canon Dual Pixel raw CR2 files in Camera Raw and Lightroom

Opening JPEGs or TIFFs would not normally involve ACR. What message do you get when you use File - Open on those files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also have added - that dual pixel limitation applies even with the latest ACR versions.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I've downloaded the DNG Converter and run a conversion on a few images and that seems to have worked, so big thanks for that.

In terms of opening JPEGs and TIFFs I produce a lot of work on film and I have always wanted to bring those files into Camera RAW, but I can't seem to do this. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Cheers

Iain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Use Bridge to view the file - highlight the file  then Ctrl+R to Open in Camera Raw

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines