4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 1:45 PM by rob day

Fonts missing after sharing a file, but they aren't really missing

seanp36 Level 1

We have multiple people working on the same the file, across a shared drive. When one person makes changes and saves it, they can open it again just fine. But if another person tries to open the file later, they get the missing fonts message. Even though everyone has all the same OTC fonts on their computers, and  and all they have to do is point it to the right to the right fonts in "Find Fonts." Then, if someone else opens the file again, they have to do it all over. It is wasting our organization a great deal of time.

• 1. Re: Fonts missing after sharing a file, but they aren't really missing
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

We will assume that instead of OTC (“Over The Counter” as in stock trades) you mean OTF (OpenType Fonts)?!? 

Two possibilities come to mind.

(1)     The document on the shared driver (network share?) was the product of a packaging operation and somehow the Document Fonts subdirectory got corrupted or deleted.

or more likely

(2)     What you think are the same fonts are not exactly the same fonts. InDesign tracks not only the font names, but also version of such fonts. It is possible that there are differences between the fonts of the same name on different systems accessing the InDesign document from their desktop systems.

- Dov

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fonts missing after sharing a file, but they aren't really missing
            seanp36 Level 1

You are correct in assuming I made a typo, and wasn't talking about stock trades or pharmaceuticals. :-)

I don't think it's an issue of a corrupted file, because they're having the same issue with over a dozen InDesign files.

I have taken your suggestion about making sure they all have the exact same version of the font (SourceSans Pro being the culprit). I have copied the font from one machine, overwriting the font on all the other machines. I'll let you know what happens when they all return to work next week.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Fonts missing after sharing a file, but they aren't really missing
              Bill Silbert Adobe Community Professional

One other thing to look for. I'm making the assumption that you are working on macintosh. With that as a given you need to make sure that there are no other versions of the font in one of the native font folders on the computer. For example, if a different copy of the font resides in the users font folder found in the Library of the Home folder it will supersede any fonts of the same name that might reside on the hard drive's Library font folder. Make sure that whether you're using a font utility such as FontExplorer or your fonts are placed in one of the native font folders that it is consistent on all machines.

• 4. Re: Fonts missing after sharing a file, but they aren't really missing
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then, if someone else opens the file again, they have to do it all over. It is wasting our organization a great deal of time.

Is your organization using any font management software? An application like Font Agent Pro or Suitcase Fusion will let you manage sets of fonts and auto activate closed fonts when you open a doc.