• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizer keeps moving me to a different place than I was working!

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just began using Photoshop Elements 13, and I am trying to add keywords, tags, and to delete certain photos.  Every single time I delete one photo, it brings me to a photo NOT in the place next to that deleted photo, but somewhere randomly found in that folder full of photos.  When I try to go photo by photo, it skips over some photos, and sometimes throws me back to the original photo of in my file folder.  I am working in the "Folders" view, by the way.  This is getting too frustrating to keep having to find my place again over and over and over...please help!

Secondly, I'm using the mouse on my laptop, which I usually have no trouble with, but in organizer, the side bar to scroll up and down is too sensitive, and I can't use it to look down a few rows of photos.  It jumps several months down very quickly and then I have to go searching up & down until I get back to my place.

Can you help me with either or both problems?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

blessed_family  wrote

I just began using Photoshop Elements 13, and I am trying to add keywords, tags, and to delete certain photos.  Every single time I delete one photo, it brings me to a photo NOT in the place next to that deleted photo, but somewhere randomly found in that folder full of photos.  When I try to go photo by photo, it skips over some photos, and sometimes throws me back to the original photo of in my file folder.  I am working in the "Folders" view, by the way.  This is getting too frustrating to keep having to find my place again over and over and over...please help!

You have discovered why working in 'Folders' is ignoring the ease of use of working in normal 'media' view and viewing by selections based on tags and categories or albums. The organizer lets you use the 'Folders' view as a selection and viewing criteria but its main principle is to use a catalog. Using its database is a huge advantage in flexibility and speed.

My suggestion is mainly to use the media view with the albums or categories. The Organizer 13 lets you display your selected files by different sort criteria - date - filename - import batch - album order. Your chosen order is usually different than the sort order you have chosen for your Explorer/Finder. Deleting a file from the catalog and/or from the drive does not guarantee the focus skips to the next image you are seeing in the browsing space. Remember it's easy to assign a tag to a subfolder in a single click or to create a temporary album.

Anyway, deleting files (from catalog and/or disk) takes time. It's best to work in two stages: selection of files to delete - batch deletion when you have time.

For instance, even working in Folders view:

- you can assign a tag like 'ToBeDeleted'

- you can hide each file (be sure you don't have already hidden files in your working session) and later show only hidden files and batch delete them.

- You can assign a 5 stars rating and delete them later (if you can reserve the 5 stars rating to that purpose). Alternatively, you can assign the same star rating to all the files in the subfolders and set the images to be deleted to 0. Easy to select and to show either the deleted and the kept images in a single click. Assigning a rating at the same time you are culling is a natural workflow.

Are you working on Win or Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines