• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Actionscript 3 not accepting audio?

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started using adobe animate and I have been trying to import audio.

After researching how to do it, I am now trying to import audio into an Actionscript3 canvas, because apparently that's the only canvas that can change the sound effects from 'none' to something else (so I can hear and play the sound as I'm animating).

However Actionscript 3 won't allow ANY of my audio files. I'm not able to select an audio file in the finder or drag it onto the stage, whether it's an MP3, WAV or AIF! Am I missing something here? Does the audio have to be a certain size or length for not to work? Are those audio files not compatible with actionscript 3? Please help, anything will be appreciated!

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

In the import dialog is an Options button. If you go into there and it's set to say Ogg Vorbis, or some graphic format, nothing else will import. Try changing it to All Openable Formats.

Do you have the files that created the MP3s? It would be better to convert those to 16 bit 44.1 kHz WAV, than to convert the MP3 version.

Don't use 8 bit, or any other sample rate than 44.1 kHz.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2017 Jul 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

create a new layer and then drag your sound symbol from the library to the stage.

any problem?  if so, attach a screenshot showing your selected new layer and the library panel with the symbol you're trying to drag.

p.s.  in animate cc, it's called the stage, not canvas.  when you say canvas in the context of animate cc, you're talking about a html5/canvas project which is not the same as an actionscript 3 project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they're saying that can't even import into the file at all so there isn't even a sound file in the library to drag.

I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. Apparently, to scrub audio (the ability to set the audio file to "stream") you have to use Actionscript3 but AS3 won't even import sound files (apparently), I've tried both mp3 and wav. HTML5 will import audio but it won't scrub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For animating and synching to sound, ActionScript 3.0 and Stream synch is definitely the best way to work. If the animation at the end needs to go to HTML5 Canvas, you can covert the file after getting all the timing right.

For that workflow it's best to use WAV, it keeps the good quality, and it scrubs in the timeline a lot better than MP3.

But, you can't import high sample rate or high bit depth sound. That means don't try to import 24 or 32 bit audio, and don't use 96 kHz. Find a way to make the sounds be 16 bit, 44.1 kHz. Then they should import ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. So I started with an mp3>converted it to wav (16bit, 48kHz) and everytime I tried importing, the file is grayed out (but it worked for html5 but that won't stream at all). I tried exporting it at some low settings after seeing your response (8bit, 16kHz) and still it's grayed out. I thought maybe it was the length of the audio file (2 minutes 46 seconds) so I tried it at 15 seconds with the same low settings. Every time, the audio file isn't even eligible to import.

I have already spent way more time on this than I needed to and it's no longer worth it to try and trouble shoot the problem. This use to be a quick and easy feature in flash and it was really the only reason I kept the program around, since I can't scrub audio in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the import dialog is an Options button. If you go into there and it's set to say Ogg Vorbis, or some graphic format, nothing else will import. Try changing it to All Openable Formats.

Do you have the files that created the MP3s? It would be better to convert those to 16 bit 44.1 kHz WAV, than to convert the MP3 version.

Don't use 8 bit, or any other sample rate than 44.1 kHz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it! I didn't even think to check that import options box. Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It had me fooled in the past too. I find that often when I've updated Animate that setting gets reset to Ogg Vorbis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines