7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 1:07 AM by Peter Grainge

Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

Dave_ITAD

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some help with a new install of TechComm Suite 2017 please, in particular RoboHelp 2017. My full install does not recognize Word 2013 or a more recent new install of Word 2016 (Full Office 365 install). I am operating the latest update of Win10 with the 32 bit install of Word (both versions). I have checked file associations and everything I can see in the forums for similar problems with RoboHelp 2015.

I cannot export to printed documents because RoboHelp 2017 cannot find Word on my computer. I have also found that I cannot link a Word file and sync the content, but I can import content from a Word document. I have tried this with and without Word running.

After 2 hours with Adobe Support they tell me that it must be my system and that I should try to reproduce the issue on another computer. Am I meant to be doing the tech support for them? They could only export to Word if they use the hidden Administrator account on my system. My user account has full Admin rights. They set up a new Adobe Admin account and they have the same problem - does not recognize Word. They also moved my install to the C drive (I had it on a larger alternative internal drive to free up the SSD for the operating system) but that made no difference. Then they told me to see if I could reproduce the issue on another computer. They also said that they would do no further troubleshooting until they heard back from me. Using the hidden Admin account seemed a reasonable fix to them! I don't see this as a solution.

One of my reasons for purchasing RoboHelp was to evaluate for a client with the intent of recommending (or not) for them to purchase and use it for converting their Word documents. The need to use the hidden Admin account is not acceptable for me and I know that any Admin right for a large company is not a solution. They only allow Admin rights to IT staff.

If I can't get this working, and pretty soon, then I will need to look at other alternatives to RoboHelp, again. Not the tech support I expected, or have previously experienced, from Adobe.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

• 1. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I have moved your post as RoboHelp for Word is a separate program that shipped with older versions of RoboHelp.

Please contact me via my Contact Page. I will send you a link that I think will fix this problem.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

I have sent Dave a link and will update the thread in due course.

@petergrainge

• 3. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017
              Dave_ITAD Level 1

Hi Peter,

thanks for the file but unfortunately it does not work for RoboHelp2017.

Dave

• 4. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

Bummer! I will work with Dave offline on this and post back where we get to.

@petergrainge

• 5. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

I emailed Dave with some suggestions but I haven't heard back so I cannot post the solution. Sorry.

@petergrainge

• 6. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017
                    Dave_ITAD Level 1

Sorry for the delayed response but I have been working to deliver content to a client - without using RoboHelp.

I did get the RoboHelp issue resolved but I am not happy with the lack of any support from Adobe on this issue. Their tech support left the issue for me to try on another computer two months ago. No follow-up and no support or checks. They thought the problem was with user rights and wanted all users to be set as admins (which didn't work), something that many companies do not allow.

In the end I totally uninstalled TechComm Suite 2017 from my computer and cleaned up with Revo. I then reinstalled it to the default install location (C drive). This is the only option that worked. Problem is that my C drive is an SSD and I don't want the operating system clogged with program files. I should be able to install to any internal drive that I select. If not, then warn me on install and as conditions of the product. During install I was able to select any internal drive and there were no warnings that the product would not work with other programs.

I can now import from and export to Word 2016 (Office 365). I am not convinced that I should recommend RoboHelp to my client though, especially with this type of product support.

Thanks for you support on this Peter.

Regards,

Dave.

• 7. Re: Cannot use Word 2016 with RoboHelp 2017

I have two machines with SSDs and I use a different logic. I put programs on the C Drive as that is going to be the fastest so my programs work quicker. I keep all my data on conventional hard disks or even USB drives so that I can access it on more than one PC. That works very well.

Turning to your scenario, I agree that if it is critical that TCS is installed on the C Drive, then either it should force that or at least issue a warning that it is critical. Please follow this link to create a bug report.

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to that bug in this thread and others can vote for it.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I would disagree with you on not recommending the product. I have used it for some twenty years and I have looked at the competition. There is one major competitor and if you look at their forums, they have their issues the same as RoboHelp. Also normally Support do get to the bottom of issues like this. I have known them spend a couple of hours on fixing a really knotty licensing issue. On this one I think they should have found the cause as it is a rare but not unknown problem.

@petergrainge