7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 6:00 PM by CarlieBim

Duplicated layers are showing up as transparent?

CarlieBim

I'm creating a short video for class that shows a text message conversation between two people. I'm a beginner with After Effects, so I've been following these two tutorials for guidance: After Effects Tutorial: How to Create a Text Messaging Animation - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFLuiik8RC8&lc=z13qe5rbdmaxfjxym04cfp3o4tfdtbzze5s.1500608 708348824

I've been able to make two chat bubbles so far, complete with the typing effect. However now that I want to make a third response (of the person who has the grim reaper as his display image), I've tried duplicating the layers from his first message, and dragging them to the bottom of the composition list, and changing them along the timeline. However they keep coming up as slightly transparent, which makes it hard to read the text. I've already checked their opacity levels and they're all at 100%. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried even filling them (Effect - Generate - Fill) but it's the same transparent effect.

I've included two screenshots of my program and the project. If someone could shed some light on how to stop this transparency problem, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or is there another way that I could duplicate the effects for each time a new message appears from a character?

Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 2.01.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 2.12.55 PM.png