Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 masking

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with some kind of masking, filtering, or maybe screening over my fonts/pages. It's been fairly random but it shows up in print as well as on the  monitor. Interestingly enough, images set in frames (using the frame tool) also look masked/filtered/screened.

InDesign masking.jpg

I inherited some templates but they worked perfect for the last newsletter and I haven't been able to figure out what's changed.

Here are some of the things I've checked:

-  Preferences > Appearance of Black and both On Screen and Printing/Exporting are set to Display All Blacks as Rich Black and Output All Blacks as Rich Black. Overprinting of [Black] is checked.

- Display performance is on High Quality

- Created Swatches for C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=100 and C=60 M=50 Y=40 K=100

- Color Settings are set to Adobe RGB and also tried North America Web/Internet (though this is a printed newsletter)

- Kerning is set to (0), which has nothing to do with anything.

- I've tried changing the paragraph style: Normal (Web)+, No Paragraph Style, Normal

I've pretty  much gone through every menu and still no joy.

Has anyone else seen anything like this happening?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

My Effects don't look anything like that but I'll search for that Opacity and Fill.

You can use the Flattener preview panel to quickly find out if transparency is the problem:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.28 AM.png

Set Highlight to Transparent Objects

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.34 AM.png

Also double check that the text color's tint is set to 100% via the Color panel:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 8.01.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences.

To do so:

For Macintosh Users: With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the following two files and delete them: ā€œAdobe InDesignā€ and ā€œcom.adobe.InDesign.plistā€. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After youā€™ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized ā€œmintā€ preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying themā€”that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

For Windows Users: Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching InDesign and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will definitely give that a try and set up the preferences, but it will need to wait until I after I get this newsletter out.

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing you could check -- in the Effects panel, is the fill set to Normal 100% and is the Text set to Normal 100% and the overall Opacity in the upper right corner set to 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

My Effects don't look anything like that but I'll search for that Opacity and Fill.

Thank you,

-naomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find Effects under Window > Effects, or Object > Effects, and you'll see a list of effects. If your effects panel doesn't look like mine, your selected object probably has different settings than mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! I was looking in the wrong place. It appears to be correct.

I'll try messing with the numbers and see what I can get out of it.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Flattener preview panel to quickly find out if transparency is the problem:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.28 AM.png

Set Highlight to Transparent Objects

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 7.54.34 AM.png

Also double check that the text color's tint is set to 100% via the Color panel:

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 8.01.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Rob,

Flattener! That's a really handy feature!

I didn't know it was there. Guess I really should RTFM.

Also, thank you for step-by-step. I'm still new to this so it take me a while to get around.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines