6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2017 2:25 PM by gator soup

Confused about color

AdamKWork

Hello All,

I was told by my work place that are primary color is Pantone 186C so being a web savvy guy I look it up to find google telling me its:

RGB 200 16 46

HEX/HTML C8102E

CMYK 2 100 85 6

Thinking great I will use C8102E for all things web.

Until I open photoshop and illustrator and I get 2 completely different results

Illustrator says:

RGB 207 10 44

HEX CF0A2C

CMYK 12 100 91 3

Photoshop says:

RGB 208 32 47

HEX D0202F

CMYK 12 100 91 2

So which is the right color and how would I know which is the right red? and why are they all different?

• 1. Re: Confused about color
          NB, colourmanagement Adobe Community Professional

Hi adamk

Pantone swatches match specially mixed Pantone inks when printed onto a specific paper.

When considering the nearest value to that Pantone colour in the RGB or CMYK colourspace, we need to take into account the icc profile of the CMYK or RGB colourspace. For example the same actual visual colour in either sRGB or Adobe RGB colourspace has different numbers. Same goes for CMYK which is actually a recipe (in simplified terms) for the amounts of each of specific inks when printed onto specific paper at specific densities.

I suspect that your Illustrator colour settings for RGB and CMYK are different to your Photoshop ones.

In the RGB and CMYK colour spaces the numbers related to a colour are far from unequivocal unless an ICC profile is provided to reference those numbers against an unequivocal space such as XYZ or L*a*b*.

I have written something about that here: about icc colour profiles, icc profiles explained | colourmanagement.net

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Confused about color
            AdamKWork Level 1

Hello Neil,

thank you for getting back to me and this makes sense.

So basically just use the Pantone 186c as the base and not worry about the RGB or CMYK values as anything being sent to print will be correct.  Just wondering though how do I know which hex color to use on the web though since I am not able to control a users ICC profile on their PC/Mac or do I just pick one and stick with it.

Thanks again,

Adam

• 3. Re: Confused about color
              NB, colourmanagement Adobe Community Professional

Hia AdamK,

there's a bit more to it than that with Pantone colours and print. if it is set up in a document and printed as a "spot-colour" then it should indeed print right. If it's to be made up from the CMYK inks you (or someone in the workflow) then need(s) to control that.

Hex, yeah I guess you could do it that way. Choose a hex colour you like and just go with it, if it looks tight on your screen (viewed in a web browser) then others will likely experience something similar.. 

HIH

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful", so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

• 4. Re: Confused about color
                Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

There are many web sites with colour converters. I have only found one, ever, which was correct, and that was one with a lot of extra info to enter. 

The problem is that there IS NO RGB CONVERSION. Well, no single RGB conversion. But many people don't understand colour management and - like a ship lost in a storm, rather than learn colour management, grab the first dry land (such as a web site with junk numbers on it) and cling to it ever after.

Your aim if you want to learn colour management is to accept that there is no single RGB conversion, and understand why. Then you can move to finding an RGB conversion that is useful to you in a particular case.

• 5. Re: Confused about color
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thinking great I will use C8102E for all things web.

Until I open photoshop and illustrator and I get 2 completely different results

When getting conversions you also have to be careful about the source definition for the Pantone swatch. Photoshop has always used Lab definitions for the Pantone libraries—the Lab values come from instrument readings of  printed solid color swatches.

Starting with CS6, Illustrator and Indesign made significant changes to their Pantone libraries. Prior to CS6, the ID and AI libraries used CMYK definitions for the Pantone swatches and part of the transition allowed you to choose between Lab and the legacy CMYK. The CMYK defined swatches are impossible to correctly color manage so now the solid libraries are Lab definitions only, and there are new libraries for process CMYK simulations of the solid inks—Pantone Bridge.

So to get the sRGB hex value for 186 Coated, make sure the source is the current lab value for the color (45|68|40). Here in the latest Photoshop with no documents open, and my Color Settings set to sRGB:

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 10.44.31 AM.png

The Picker will give the correct conversions to my settings' current working spaces. Note that the CMYK conversion also depends on the Settings' color intent and Black Point Compensation:

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 10.44.38 AM.png

• 6. Re: Confused about color
                    gator soup Level 4
                    how do I know which hex color to use on the web though since I am not able to control a users ICC profile

the web is arguably based on the sRGB profile/colorspace

therefore pick/apply your hex color while editing your document from the sRGB color space

in other words, you need to convert your document to sRGB (if not already there) BEFORE picking and/or applying your hex color

+++++

whether to embed a profile in web objects is a different discussion

COLOR CONSISTENCY vs. COLOR ACCURACY

A real challenge for Web designers and color-managed Web browsers is mixing tagged and untagged color where a graphic background needs to "match" or blend seamlessly into an HTML background Hex color...