• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FTP error occurred - cannot make connect to host.

Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get: an FTP error occurred - cannot make connect to host.  I can connect using Filezilla with no problems but I can't with CS6. I've changed my password on my server and that didn't help. Anyone with ideas is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

The perpetual license version (disks or one time download) stopped at 12.0.3.

If you want something newer than that, yes, you would need to become a creative Cloud Subscriber so you could download and install a more recent version. There is a 7 day trial available, but you only have access to CC 2017.5 with that.

The subscription you choose it up to you. Once you have one, the program(s) will install on your machine, just like the old versions, and can be used on or offline (it's not a Cloud-Based

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this will help you Troubleshoot FTP issues in Adobe Dreamweaver

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything. I turned off Windows Firewall and the 3 error messages below is all I get:

Screenshot 2017-07-25 07.35.43.pngScreenshot 2017-07-25 07.41.44.pngScreenshot 2017-07-25 07.50.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the error log say?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error log doesn't say anything. When I click on error log, I get this message:

Screenshot 2017-07-25 07.41.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

I see when you try to run update, DW is running. Could you please try quitting DW and then try upgrading DW?

Also what windows OS are you using?

paulw15035368  wrote

I have tried everything. I turned off Windows Firewall and the 3 error messages below is all I get:

Screenshot 2017-07-25 07.35.43.png

Thanks,

Lalita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good afternoon Ben,

I am getting the same error, "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. User limit reached or not authorized to make the connection due to local firewall blocking FTP data."

1) Using Dreamweaver 2015.2. Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.6

2) I have checked FTP login credentials in Dreamweaver under Manage Sites. Credentials have not changed.

3) Tested and got the same error.

4) Firewall settings are to allow incoming connections to Dreamweaver in System Preferences.

5) Have not had this problem before.

Not sure what else I need to be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things are jumping out at me here because you have multiple issues going on.  The update failed, is an error connecting to the Adobe servers to update your application, while the FTP error, is an error in the connection to your web host provider.

The update failing from the Adobe servers could be attributed to firewall settings or simply an update you were trying to run failed.  The error log that Ben points you to will help with that.  Do you recall what update you were trying to install?

With regards to the FTP error, can you click on Site-->Advanced-->FTP Log the next time you try to make a connection and see what the FTP log returns as the error code.  Many times that is more useful then the error you get in testing as you have shown in your screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded a fresh copy of Dreamweaver CS6 last night and will try to install it later today and use my serial number. Should I un-install the one I have already before installing the new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you have currently of DW?

If its Dreamweaver CS6, then its better to uninstall and install freshly.

Do clear preferences while uninstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using DQ CS6 Build 5861. I tried to run the update just now and closed DW after clicking on Update and got the same as before. I checked the FTP Log and it is empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm using DW CS6 Build 5861.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please quit DW first and then run update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but how do I run update for DW unless I have it open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the update issue is a red herring.

DW CS6 Build 5861, is version 12.0.3 (the perpetual license version) and is as updated as far as it can be.

To get a newer version of Dreamweaver, you'd need to download DW CS6 Cloud, CC, CC 2014, CC2015 or CC2017 using the Creative Cloud Desktop Application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon, does that mean I have to pay by the month or year to use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The perpetual license version (disks or one time download) stopped at 12.0.3.

If you want something newer than that, yes, you would need to become a creative Cloud Subscriber so you could download and install a more recent version. There is a 7 day trial available, but you only have access to CC 2017.5 with that.

The subscription you choose it up to you. Once you have one, the program(s) will install on your machine, just like the old versions, and can be used on or offline (it's not a Cloud-Based Program). CC needs to call home periodically to ensure you have a valid subscription. If you don't, access to the program stops, though all of the files that you've created are still available to you

Subscribers have access to 8 versions, though only 5 can be installed at once (dot releases overwrite each other), so CS6 Cloud, CC, CC2014.x, CC2015.x and CC2017.x can all be installed on the same machine(s) at the same time, under a single subscription, they just won't run concurrently.

All of that said, there are many users who still have the old CS6 and can still connect to their servers without any issue what-so-ever. Getting a newer version of DW is certainly no guarantee a successful connection will happen. Have you tried toggling "Use Passive FTP" and "FTP Performance Optimization" in the Advanced section of your FTP settings? Sometimes changing one, or both of those will make a difference. I've also had times where DW simply wouldn't connect using the domain address and required me to put my server's IP address in that field in order to connect with it (or vise versa).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon, I think I have tried everything but will go back and start over. If I un-install my current DW CS6, and then install the fresh one I downloaded yesterday, I will use my serial number. I hope the fresh one would not force me to pay per month to use it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you make sure you are downloading CS6 Perpetual and not CS6 Cloud, you will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines