11 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2009 5:04 PM by tzeng

All kinds of problems on a Mac

dssolveinthelove Level 1
      It wasn't so long ago that AIR was working fine on my Mac with Leopard 10.5.3. Now whenever I try and run an app, I get "This application requires a version of Adobe AIR which is no longer supported." I thought it was isolated to the app I was trying to run, but it was for every AIR app I tried. So I thought maybe my AIR runtime wasn't up to date. I go to the download page to get the most recent version and try running it, but then I get "An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator." But, I am the administrator. So I tried running the uninstaller, and I get the same error about not being allowed by the admin. Here's what I get in Console:

6/29/08 2:30:57 PM com.apple.launchd[110] ([0x0-0x3e03e].com.adobe.air.Installer[382]) Exited with exit code: 5

So, you can see the kinda mess I'm in. I can't even uninstall. I tried repairing permissions, but no change. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
          Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
          Please enable installer logging and capture a log file, either of the failing install or uninstall. It should provide additional detail as to what is going wrong.
          • 2. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
            dssolveinthelove Level 1
            I didn't know how to do that originally, otherwise I would have. But I did a search and found out how. Here's the log.

quote:

Performing runtime install
            UI SWF load is complete
            UI initialized
            starting user confirmation
            runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception ArgumentError: Error #2007" errorID=2007]
            begin quitting
            error in stateQuitting: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception ArgumentError: Error #2007" errorID=2007]
            • 3. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
              Please try forcing an uninstall using the AIR 1.1 installer that you downloaded. This can be done by running it via the Terminal and passing the "-uninstall" flag, like so:

/Volumes/Adobe\ AIR/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer -uninstall

• 4. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                dssolveinthelove Level 1
                quote:

Originally posted by: Oliver Goldman
                Please try forcing an uninstall using the AIR 1.1 installer that you downloaded. This can be done by running it via the Terminal and passing the "-uninstall" flag, like so:

/Volumes/Adobe\ AIR/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Installer -uninstall

Sorry, I was out of the country for a while and didn't have access to my computer to try this out. I just did now and got this in Terminal:

quote:

Uninstalling Adobe AIR (all versions)
                failed (consult log)

And here's the log:

quote:

Performing runtime install
                UI SWF load is complete
                UI initialized
                starting user confirmation
                runtime install entering error state: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception ArgumentError: Error #2007" errorID=2007]
                begin quitting
                error in stateQuitting: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception ArgumentError: Error #2007" errorID=2007]
                rivate/var/folders/Gb/GbJqrMJ7EqG+8+bZzM2dcE+++TM/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp0/file1
                Rollback due to error complete
                error during install: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038" errorID=2038]
                runtime install entering error state: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038" errorID=2038]
                begin quitting
                • 5. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                  dssolveinthelove Level 1
                  Sorry to seem impatient, but any more possible fixes? It's pretty annoying that I can't even uninstall it, let alone get it to work. Thanks for all your help so far.
                  • 6. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                    Apologies for the delay.

If the forced uninstall failed then your machine is definitely in a bad state. Please try a manual uninstall by deleting /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework. Then try installing AIR 1.1 one more time.

• 7. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                      dssolveinthelove Level 1
                      That was easy enough. Problem solved. Thanks!
                      • 8. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                        junglerolf Level 1

hello, can anyone help?! as i did follow tips on this forum entry but it still does not work!

i have Mac OS X 10.57

i downloaded latest Air 1.51

i uninstalled Air

cleared the trash

i do not use Virus app

i trashed Air prefs + App Support

i restarted with Safe Boot

i reinstalled Air

your tips did not work, until i trashed the prefs/app support

this solved the Air install error: installation may not be allowed by your admin (though i am the admin & the password was accepted!)

this also solved error: the app requires an update to Adobe Air but downloading that update was not successful

i still get error msg:

This app requires an update to Adobe Air that is not available for your system!

is Air now not compatible with OS X 10.57 that came out last week?

thanks for any tips,

rolf

• 9. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                          tzeng Adobe Employee

Could you generate and post the application installation log?

To generate the log file, create a .airappinstall.log file on your home dir.

It looks like it has to do with the name space of your AIR app.

• 10. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                            junglerolf Level 1

1st, thx so much for your time! ; )

i don't know how to do that log thing.

meanwhile, it worked.

secret: uninstalling Air & air apps, restarting etc. does not work. one has to reinstall Air in Safe Mode.

then reinstall Air + download latest versions of air apps, as OSX 10.57 just came out. latest air app versions finally worked.

but what do you mean by "name space of air app"? i never renamed apps...

thanks so much again

• 11. Re: All kinds of problems on a Mac
                              tzeng Adobe Employee

Thanks for letting us know it is working now.

Name space is a string inside the application descriptro file. It indicates the minimun version of AIR the application requires.